Showing results 1 to 25 of 53
Search took 2.92 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: timeOday
Forum: Storage (alternative) February 1st 08, 11:19 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 17
Posted By timeOday
drive with read-only dip switch

Arno Wagner wrote:

For drive manufactueres, spending the extra 50 Cent is not cost
effective, since apparently only very, very few people
want this feature.

Arno

Floppy drives, Mini-DV,...
Forum: Storage (alternative) December 7th 07, 02:52 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 9
Posted By timeOday
Recover files from NTFS partition with Linux?

Arno Wagner wrote:
You can do the same with a HDD, but I am not sure Windows
recognizes whole-disk FAT formats on disk drives.

Arno

With a lot of recent linux distros, if...
Forum: Storage (alternative) December 6th 07, 05:00 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 9
Posted By timeOday
Recover files from NTFS partition with Linux?

Arno Wagner wrote:
Previously Ian R wrote:
Hi

I'm trying to recover some files from an unwell XP Pro PC which refuses to
boot up.

Ive read that its...
Forum: Storage (alternative) October 25th 07, 04:53 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 18
Posted By timeOday
What HD should I look at for Audio Editing?

Arno Wagner wrote:
The basic problem is of course, that the software makers screwed
up. If you buffer sensibly, reading 50+ files in parelell
is not an issue for these speeds.

Forum: Homebuilt PC's October 20th 07, 05:04 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 4
Posted By timeOday
Compatible RAM for Abit NF7-S motherboard?

Wow, thanks to both you and Patty for the excellent detailed responses.
Forum: Homebuilt PC's October 20th 07, 01:31 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 4
Posted By timeOday
Compatible RAM for Abit NF7-S motherboard?

A little over 3 years ago I built a system with an Abit NF7-s
motherboard and 512MB of Mushkin PC 3200 RAM:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820146219

It has 3 memory slots...
Forum: Storage (alternative) September 29th 07, 08:26 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 11
Posted By timeOday
Do I need external power supply to power USB HDD?

My external 2.5" enclosure does not require a separate power supply and
works fine. So if the one you're looking at does require a power
supply, you might consider looking further.
Forum: Storage (alternative) September 12th 07, 06:17 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 21
Posted By timeOday
47,900 MP3's - How To Organize Hard Discs?

Franc Zabkar wrote:
On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 11:48:12 -0600, timeOday
put finger to keyboard and composed:

If searching through the music is taking too long, just...
Forum: Storage (alternative) September 11th 07, 06:48 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 21
Posted By timeOday
47,900 MP3's - How To Organize Hard Discs?

wrote:
I have a little over 310 GB of music in MP3/WMA and am wondering the
best way to organize my hard discs to maximize computer speed. I have
two new Maxtor 250 GB...
Forum: Storage (alternative) September 11th 07, 06:08 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 21
Posted By timeOday
47,900 MP3's - How To Organize Hard Discs?

Andre Majorel wrote:

There are good reasons for avoiding directories with large
number of entries, though (CPU).

Depends on the filesystem. ReiserFS handles them very well, but I guess
its...
Forum: Storage (alternative) September 11th 07, 05:23 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 2
Posted By timeOday
Removing drive from Raid1 destroys data?

I have a computer with Intel Matrix Raid (ICH6R) that has never given me
anything but problems. The RAID volumes are constantly failing, not due
to hard drive failures, but the implementation of...
Forum: Storage (alternative) September 6th 07, 01:22 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 5
Posted By timeOday
How much hardware do I need?

I am making a system which uses a SQL database (currently H2) for data
acquisition. This requires many very small disk writes.

Initial benchmarking of the database with a plain-Jane 7200 RPM IDE...
Forum: Storage (alternative) July 4th 07, 09:27 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 17
Posted By timeOday
Reasonable Transfer Rate (External Hard Drive)?

On 2007-07-04 04:26, timeOday wrote:
Eric Gisin wrote:
wrote in message
What is...
Forum: Storage (alternative) July 4th 07, 03:26 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 17
Posted By timeOday
Reasonable Transfer Rate (External Hard Drive)?

Eric Gisin wrote:
wrote in message
What is a reasonable transfer rate for a usb 2.0 external hard...
Forum: Storage (alternative) June 23rd 07, 06:38 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 21
Posted By timeOday
Is Blue-Ray and HD DVD Storage Destined To Failure?

John Slade wrote:
I was just salivating over the specifications of Blue-Ray and HD
DVD disks. It would make backing up and storing information so much
easier for me. As it stands the...
Forum: Storage (alternative) June 20th 07, 02:35 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 14
Posted By timeOday
7200rpm 2.5" harddisk

Arno Wagner wrote:
Previously Man-wai Chang wrote:

So hard to find these days.. why? Got problems? There are plenty of
5400rpm though.

They cost you battery...
Forum: General June 8th 07, 02:50 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Replies: 55
Posted By timeOday
Recommeded memory speed for supercompact?

GT wrote:
"Joey" wrote in message
If I get a modern super-compact digital camera such as a mid-range Canon
IXUS (US: Canon...
Forum: Storage (alternative) May 20th 07, 02:08 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 14
Posted By timeOday
Where are the Terabyte hard drive?

Kelvin wrote:
Where are the Terabyte hard drive?

Apparently it's called the Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000

Forum: Storage (alternative) March 22nd 07, 08:46 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 42
Posted By timeOday
Optimum page file size for 1 GB?

Alexander Grigoriev wrote:
When kernel bugcheck occurs, it's not a good idea to go to filesystem and
create a file. After all, your filesystem driver may be screwed all over by
a faulty...
Forum: Storage (alternative) March 22nd 07, 02:45 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 42
Posted By timeOday
Optimum page file size for 1 GB?

Arno Wagner wrote:
Previously Terry Pinnell wrote:
Arno Wagner wrote:

Previously Bob Willard ...
Forum: Storage (alternative) March 18th 07, 06:38 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 5
Posted By timeOday
homebuild NAS recommendations

Mike Tomlinson wrote:
2) you'll need a beefy PSU for 10 drives (or two PSUs).

3) you'll need to arrange very good cooling for the drives if you want
them to last.

If I were a home user...
Forum: Storage (alternative) March 15th 07, 01:02 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 4
Posted By timeOday
Max percent fill of system drive?

Joe S wrote:
Approximately what is the maximum percentage fullness an XP system drive
should be? (Including all system and data files.)

Don't allow space for growth as I will add in the...
Forum: General March 15th 07, 01:02 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 7

Joe S wrote:
Approximately what is the maximum percentage fullness an XP system drive
should be? (Including all system and data files.)

Don't allow space for growth as I will add in the...
Forum: Storage (alternative) March 5th 07, 08:22 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 10
Posted By timeOday
Hardware triple mirror RAID 1?

tomviolin wrote:
I am interested in setting up a triple-mirrored RAID 1 setup in a
Linux environment.

I know that eSATA cards such as the SIL3114r support RAID 1 in
hardware. However, I...
Forum: Storage (alternative) March 4th 07, 05:44 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 35
Posted By timeOday
Disappointing hard drive value (was: raw files are HUGE)

Ken Lucke wrote:

Besides, what's the problem? Storage has never been cheaper - I just
picked up [yet another] Maxtor 300 GB Firewire/USB drive from Costco
for $149, including cables... that's...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 53