Showing results 1 to 25 of 80
Search took 2.16 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: hdrdtd
Forum: Dell Computers March 7th 07, 08:50 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 11
Posted By hdrdtd
Vintage Dell laptop--sell complete, piece out, or donate?

"Ron Hardin" wrote in message
I'd tend to put it in a closet and forget it on speculation that it
will come in handy someday. ...
Forum: Dell Computers March 7th 07, 06:33 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 13
Posted By hdrdtd
Can I completely copy one hd to another?

Any one of many disk imaging software programs will do that. I prefer to use
Acronis TrueImage.

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/

"Jackie" wrote in...
Forum: Dell Computers March 5th 07, 06:34 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 1
Posted By hdrdtd
vista upgrade upgrade assistant?

It appears to be a universal DVD.

Looking at the contents, There is a directory for the BIOS images, and quite
a wide range of models are listed including the E521.

You should be fine.

"Tony...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's March 1st 07, 02:21 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 7
Posted By hdrdtd
WD2500 in USB enclosure failing?

many of the USB external enclosures need the jumpers on the drive set to
'master'.

wrote in message
Hi folks -...
Forum: Dell Computers February 28th 07, 11:17 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 56
Posted By hdrdtd
Recommened Hard Drives

"Sparky Spartacus" wrote in message
hdrdtd wrote:

snip

Cassette tape! That's recent. I used to use the computer at...
Forum: Dell Computers February 22nd 07, 09:23 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 2
Posted By hdrdtd
dell precision 360 green mounting rails

Did you already look inside the case for spare rails?

I've seen Dell supply them on many systems, and usually they're snapped into
holders on the inside of the case somewhere,

"r mason"...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's February 22nd 07, 09:22 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 9
Posted By hdrdtd
Dell Dimension 8100

Unfortunatly, the connection between Dell motherboards and the front panel
of the case is also proprietary.

The best you could do is to by a case/MB/PS and use the drives and cards
from the 8100...
Forum: Dell Computers February 12th 07, 05:06 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 23
Posted By hdrdtd
Intel 945 video and Vista

I seem to recal during the Beta, the topic of support for Intel video came
up time and time again (I don't recall the details tho), but If I remember,
My E510 that had the intergrated Intel video...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's February 12th 07, 04:59 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 5
Posted By hdrdtd
HP NetServer E 60 - What kind of memory??

If you're going to be putting the memory in your E-60, the yes the memory
listed at Crucial in the link provided will work just fine even tho it's
rated at PC133.

From HP's own...
Forum: Dell Computers February 8th 07, 04:49 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 9
Posted By hdrdtd
New XPS410/9200 Bios available today!

I don't see 2.1.0 either, but in addition to the new 2.3.0, they still list

2.1.2
2.0.5
2.0.4
1.0.3

So if something happens and you don't like 2.3.0, there are several versions
you could resort to.
Forum: Dell Computers February 7th 07, 05:18 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 6
Posted By hdrdtd
Dell Vista Express Upgrade

As Tom says, I wouldn't look for it till the end of Feb or early March.

Keep in mind, that it won't be 'just' the Vista upgrade disk (or so I
understand), it'll be the Vista Upgrade disk as well as...
Forum: Dell Computers January 31st 07, 08:44 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 6
Posted By hdrdtd
Power Supply upgrade for Dell 210L ?

Dell power supplies are consertivally rated. I'd have no problem putting two
controller cards in it.

if they're going to be controlling other equipment I'm gonna guess that
they're either...
Forum: Dell Computers January 29th 07, 10:13 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 7
Posted By hdrdtd
Choosing a PCIe graphic card for my Dimension E520 / 5150

I would suggest you keep in mind that many lower cost video cards by both
ATI and nVidia 'share' ram with your system ram to achive thier advertised
amount of video ram. Especially if you have...
Forum: Dell Computers January 29th 07, 10:04 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 11
Posted By hdrdtd
Vista and XP interoperability on a home network

If I remember, people found that if the printer was connected to and shared
from the Vista PC, then the XP boxes could connect to it with no problems.

alot of at tleast the early problems were when...
Forum: Dell Computers January 29th 07, 10:01 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 7
Posted By hdrdtd
Clean install XP Media for new computer??

I wouldn't rush into it just yet. (re-installing windows).

Before to take that step, you can download a copy of the Dell
'De-crapifyier' that was written for the specific use of removing all the...
Forum: Dell Computers January 29th 07, 09:49 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 6
Posted By hdrdtd
XP vs. Vista

That wouldn't surprise me, as those are typically the systems that are sold
to corporations, and typically corporations cannot just move to a new OS a
the drop of a hat.

I think we'll just have to...
Forum: Dell Computers January 29th 07, 09:45 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 43
Posted By hdrdtd
Office 2003

If the system was repaired, then he can continue using his OEM copy of
Office since he still has the original system

If however the system is totaly replaced, then yes, legally he needs a new
copy...
Forum: Dell Computers January 29th 07, 04:10 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 6
Posted By hdrdtd
XP vs. Vista

I just contacted my Corporate sales person asking her if we were going to be
able to buy a new Dell with XP Pro instead of Vista.

Her response was 'yes, for about a year'

If you look at the small...
Forum: Dell Computers January 29th 07, 03:41 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 43
Posted By hdrdtd
Office 2003

If he ends up replacing the entire system, then yes, he is LEGALLY oblogated
to purchase another copy of Office IF then copy of Office he had was an OEM
version.

Sucks, don't it.

We discovered...
Forum: Dell Computers January 29th 07, 03:28 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 14
Posted By hdrdtd
Dell and the No Windows 'Option'

"Tom Scales" wrote in message

"TheVeech" wrote in message
Forum: Dell Computers January 29th 07, 02:50 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 43
Posted By hdrdtd
Office 2003

Legally, OEM software such as Office is tied to the original PC.

If the PC dies, the software dies with it and cannot legally be transferred
to another system.

According to Microsoft....

"Ole"...
Forum: Dell Computers January 29th 07, 02:47 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 14
Posted By hdrdtd
Dell and the No Windows 'Option'

I doubt it. Even on the US web site, although you can buy a few desktop
models without windows, there's no such option for laptops.

Several years ago some people decided that they would just choose...
Forum: Dell Computers January 24th 07, 02:44 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 3
Posted By hdrdtd
reformating and reinstalling OS on xps410

Odds are reformatting the Windows partition and installing a fresh copy of
Windows will alter the MBR enough for it to break the functionality of the
hidden Dell partitions.

Been there, done...
Forum: Dell Computers January 18th 07, 04:44 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 50
Posted By hdrdtd
Any other 640m laptop owners here?

Aside from here, here is another good place to get answers for your
questions from other owners.

http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/?category.id=inspiron

wrote in message...
Forum: Dell Computers January 18th 07, 01:54 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 4
Posted By hdrdtd
Dell Inspiron 1505 and Windows XP 64 Bit

Typically when you go to Dell's web site to check for drivers and downloads
for your system, one of the first boxes shown is a selection box (drop down
box) where you can select which version of...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 80