Showing results 1 to 25 of 196
Search took 0.81 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Al Dykes
Forum: Dell Computers October 30th 10, 04:17 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 15
Posted By Al Dykes
Laptop battery over-charging?

These days my laptop is seeing heavy use as a desktop replacement and
it is plugged in all the time. I've killed the battery on previous
laptops due to over-charging when the laptop was mostly shut...
Forum: Dell Computers October 11th 10, 01:44 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 1
Posted By Al Dykes
How often do modern laptop power bricks fail?

Just curios if power bricks have a failure rate that is worth
counting.

In my day job, we have large numbers of similar laptops and just
putting the laptop on the workbench rules out the brick as...
Forum: Dell Computers September 9th 10, 11:54 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 9
Posted By Al Dykes
Do You Believe in Registry Cleaners?

In article ,
Monica wrote:
I used to, as a computer novice in the mid 90s and let other people that had
no idea what they were doing talk...
Forum: Dell Computers August 23rd 10, 01:43 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 2
Posted By Al Dykes
dell 1564 speakers

In article ,
RnR wrote:
Just curious for those that have a 1564, if you multitask while mp3's
or streaming music, do you get static...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 17th 10, 01:48 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 5
Posted By Al Dykes
Big drives

In article ,
Flasherly wrote:
On Aug 16, 4:34 pm, "Don Phillipson" wrote:
IBM 8113...
Forum: General August 6th 10, 03:09 AM Posted to alt.windows7.general,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Replies: 17
Posted By Al Dykes
A limit on number of USB hubs in Windows 7?

In article ,
Yousuf Khan wrote:
I've got three 4-port hubs on my system. From time to time after a
reboot, some of them don't enumerate...
Forum: Dell Computers July 29th 10, 04:12 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 21
Posted By Al Dykes
64-Bit Win 7? Pitfalls?

In article ,
Christopher Muto wrote:
wrote:
Christopher Muto writes:
Forum: Dell Computers July 29th 10, 12:18 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 21
Posted By Al Dykes
64-Bit Win 7? Pitfalls?

In article ,
Christopher Muto wrote:
wrote:
I am thinking of getting a Dell Latitude 6510 for...
Forum: Dell Computers July 28th 10, 08:44 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 21
Posted By Al Dykes
64-Bit Win 7? Pitfalls?

In article ,
RnR wrote:
In article ,
says...

I am thinking of...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's July 28th 10, 06:47 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 7
Posted By Al Dykes
Decent (small) monitor?

In article ,
Wilfred Xavier Pickles wrote:

I haven't made any sense of the market for new monitors since I bought one...
Forum: Dell Computers July 19th 10, 10:13 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 9
Posted By Al Dykes
Prediction: How my new Dell Inspiron will die

In article ,
Ben Myers wrote:
On 7/18/2010 2:02 PM, Al Dykes wrote:
In...
Forum: Dell Computers July 18th 10, 07:02 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 9
Posted By Al Dykes
Prediction: How my new Dell Inspiron will die

In article ,
Christopher Muto wrote:
Al Dykes wrote:
I've bought a Dell 1464 and it is at least as good as I expected it...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's July 7th 10, 07:46 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 41
Posted By Al Dykes
Laptop and an expansion box questions??????

In article ,
wrote:
I live in two locations: Rhode Island & Texas. I intend to buy a high
powered laptop (probably Lenovo)...
Forum: Dell Computers July 1st 10, 06:44 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 17
Posted By Al Dykes
Suggestions for a Used 17" Dell LCD Monitor?

In article ,
Christopher Muto wrote:
powrwrap wrote:
After much consideration I ended up purchasing this 20" unit, 1600...
Forum: Dell Computers June 30th 10, 07:17 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 9
Posted By Al Dykes
Prediction: How my new Dell Inspiron will die

I've bought a Dell 1464 and it is at least as good as I expected it to
be. Build quality appears to be very high. With care, I would expect a
long life out of it except for one decision made by Dell...
Forum: Dell Computers June 28th 10, 05:52 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 17
Posted By Al Dykes
Suggestions for a Used 17" Dell LCD Monitor?

In article ,
powrwrap wrote:
I'm in the market for a used, ahem, pre-owned LCD Monitor to pair with
my 7 year...
Forum: Dell Computers June 26th 10, 05:07 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 4
Posted By Al Dykes
Does main chip really matter

In article ,
MZB wrote:
I'm researching some laptop deals. I am looking for a new laptop. My usage
is basically office software,...
Forum: Storage (alternative) June 18th 10, 08:28 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 28
Posted By Al Dykes
best backup software with USB external hard drives?

In article ,
iws wrote:
On 6/15/2010 3:41 PM, Joe wrote:
I looked at USB hard drives at Best Buy the other day- I plan on...
Forum: Dell Computers May 27th 10, 07:18 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 7
Posted By Al Dykes
Why does Dell send frequent BIOS updates ? (Inspiron 1464)

In article , Al Dykes wrote:
I've had an Inspiron 1464 for couple months. The RSS feed that tells
me about updates has sent me several BIOS flash...
Forum: Dell Computers May 25th 10, 12:16 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 7
Posted By Al Dykes
Why does Dell send frequent BIOS updates ? (Inspiron 1464)

I've had an Inspiron 1464 for couple months. The RSS feed that tells
me about updates has sent me several BIOS flash updates, every two
weeks it seems. I installed the first one but old experience...
Forum: Dell Computers May 18th 10, 11:07 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 1
Posted By Al Dykes
Inspiron 1464: What is the SIM card slot for?

My Inspiron 1464 has a slot for a SIM card and the booklet says it
allows me to "browse the Internet, check email and connect to a VPN".

The 1464 has WiFi but no mention of a slot for a 3G/4G radio...
Forum: Dell Computers April 11th 10, 02:12 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 53
Posted By Al Dykes
Pure Sine Wave UPSes for New Dell PCs

In article ,
Brian K wrote:
Not that I'd do this but for my information could you run a 1500 watt heater
plugged into the...
Forum: Dell Computers April 11th 10, 10:19 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 0
Posted By Al Dykes
Dell inspiron mouse on/off key doesn't work - help please

Inspiron 1464 Win/7

The mousepad is driving me nuts. I want to turn it off.

The touchpad on/off function key does nothing. the others do what they
are supposed to do.

I've re-installed everything...
Forum: Dell Computers April 9th 10, 06:38 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 53
Posted By Al Dykes
Pure Sine Wave UPSes for New Dell PCs

In article ,
William R. Walsh wrote:
Hi!

on). The main filter capacitors are also usually kept charged in...
Forum: Storage (alternative) April 9th 10, 05:17 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 7
Posted By Al Dykes
Thoughts on using a USB disk on a cheapo UPS?

In article , Arno wrote:
Al Dykes wrote:

I don't have a high opinion of an external USB disk powered by a
wall-wart as...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 196