Showing results 1 to 25 of 32
Search took 0.02 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Jonathan N. Little
Forum: Intel July 17th 20, 03:28 PM Posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Replies: 91
Posted By Jonathan N. Little
Linux founder tells Intel to stop inventing 'magic instructions'and 'start fixing real problems'

VanguardLH wrote:
"Jonathan N. Little" wrote:

VanguardLH wrote:
"Jonathan N. Little" wrote:

VanguardLH wrote:

snip
Forum: Intel July 17th 20, 12:31 AM Posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Replies: 91
Posted By Jonathan N. Little
Linux founder tells Intel to stop inventing 'magic instructions'and 'start fixing real problems'

VanguardLH wrote:
"Jonathan N. Little" wrote:

VanguardLH wrote:

snip

Steam Play (Steam for Linux) detects the platform for the game probably
via a manifest for the...
Forum: Intel July 16th 20, 10:37 PM Posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Replies: 91
Posted By Jonathan N. Little
Linux founder tells Intel to stop inventing 'magic instructions'and 'start fixing real problems'

VanguardLH wrote:
You didn't provide a timemark for the related content, and I wasn't
going to watch all of the 22 minute video, so I moved the slider to skim
through it. The author started...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's December 31st 19, 05:53 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Replies: 11
Posted By Jonathan N. Little
"This free Windows 10 upgrade offer still works. Here's why --and how to get it"

Paul wrote:
Jonathan N. Little wrote:
Paul wrote:

If I entered John Smith, then the homedir ends up with a space in
the name, which is fine too.

Which having spaces in usernames...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's December 31st 19, 03:51 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-10

Paul wrote:

If I entered John Smith, then the homedir ends up with a space in
the name, which is fine too.

Which having spaces in usernames makes user-level security on network
shares a real...
Forum: Dell Computers June 5th 19, 03:38 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Replies: 6
Posted By Jonathan N. Little
Intel Management Engine Updates

Paul wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Host_Embedded_Controller_Interface

The Management Engine is largely uncontrollable by the user. I
want to see a jumper on the motherboard, that...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's April 30th 18, 03:37 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.freeware
Replies: 73
Posted By Jonathan N. Little
Wireless charging mouse pad

Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:

Would your hand get cancer in the long run? Wireless charging means
there is energized EM radiation coming out of the pad! :)

Not if you keep the shiny side...

Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:

Would your hand get cancer in the long run? Wireless charging means
there is energized EM radiation coming out of the pad! :)

Not if you keep the shiny side...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's April 21st 18, 01:15 PM Posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Replies: 63
Posted By Jonathan N. Little
Recommend data recovery company?

Zaidy036 wrote:
One last effort?
Place drive in zip lock bag overnight in freezer. Quickly attach to PC and
try to transfer files.

Believe or not I have done that and is sometimes works.

--...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's September 24th 17, 08:50 PM Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-8,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 5
Posted By Jonathan N. Little
Bill Gates: Control-Alt-Delete 'was a mistake'

Char Jackson wrote:
On Sun, 24 Sep 2017 12:24:02 -0400, "Jonathan N. Little"
wrote:

Paul wrote:
Jonathan N. Little wrote:

Even a bad video driver...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's September 24th 17, 08:47 PM Posted to alt.free.newsservers,alt.conspiracy,alt.comp.freeware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Replies: 38
Posted By Jonathan N. Little
Is there any proof that Usenet is still international?

Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:
Are we only accessing a local Usenet within our country of residence? :)

I don't live in Hong Kong.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
Forum: Homebuilt PC's September 24th 17, 05:24 PM Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-8,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 5
Posted By Jonathan N. Little
Bill Gates: Control-Alt-Delete 'was a mistake'

Paul wrote:
Jonathan N. Little wrote:

Even a bad video driver crashing and burning will not take down a
Linux box...but certainly BSOD'd my Windows.

Windows has some video failures...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's March 23rd 17, 04:59 PM Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-8
Replies: 28
Posted By Jonathan N. Little
Win 10 giga-update: KB 4013429 vs KB 4015438

Char Jackson wrote:
On Thu, 23 Mar 2017 09:30:28 -0400, "Jonathan N. Little"
wrote:

Andy wrote:
With a good modern internet connection that should take a few mins at...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's March 23rd 17, 04:01 PM Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-8
Replies: 28
Posted By Jonathan N. Little
Win 10 giga-update: KB 4013429 vs KB 4015438

slate_leeper wrote:
Or if you are rural and have to use a satellite link, you can not
download it at all....

Oh, yeah I fell for the HughesNet scam. I even eat the penalty to dump
it when this...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's March 23rd 17, 02:30 PM Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-8
Replies: 28
Posted By Jonathan N. Little
Win 10 giga-update: KB 4013429 vs KB 4015438

Andy wrote:
With a good modern internet connection that should take a few mins at most.
for me maybe 5 at most

And therein lies the rub. Not everybody as access to a "good modern
internet...
Forum: Printers March 9th 17, 04:57 AM Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.periphs.printers
Replies: 26
Posted By Jonathan N. Little
How to print a file from the command line? Epson, Brother

Mayayana wrote:
"Neil" wrote

| Why not get a laser printer rather
| than go through all of that?

I'm not familiar with laser. My impression has
been that...
Forum: Storage (alternative) November 27th 16, 04:04 AM Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.windows7.general,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 31
Posted By Jonathan N. Little
Can't format 64 GB USB flash drives as FAT32?

Silver Slimer wrote:
I've had a Linux format render some of my USB sticks unusable until they
were formatted properly in Windows. I'd suggest not bothering with Linux
when it comes to a USB...
Forum: Storage (alternative) November 26th 16, 10:28 PM Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.windows7.general,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 31
Posted By Jonathan N. Little
Can't format 64 GB USB flash drives as FAT32?

Ed Mullen wrote:
On 11/25/2016 at 6:06 PM, Ant's prodigious digits fired off:
Hello.

I noticed both updated 64bit Windows 7 HPE SP1 & 10 EE won't let me
reformat my new 64 GB flash...
Forum: Storage (alternative) November 26th 16, 10:25 PM Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.windows7.general,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 31
Posted By Jonathan N. Little
Can't format 64 GB USB flash drives as FAT32?

Paul wrote:
Jonathan N. Little wrote:
Paul wrote:
One thing about foreign NTFS access, is the risk depends
on what you're doing with it.

True. Access with Linux can harm as easily...
Forum: Storage (alternative) November 26th 16, 03:47 PM Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.windows7.general,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Paul wrote:

One thing about foreign NTFS access, is the risk depends
on what you're doing with it.

True. Access with Linux can harm as easily as it can fix if you don't
know what you are...
Forum: Asus Motherboards October 15th 15, 09:08 PM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,comp.sys.laptops
Replies: 87
Posted By Jonathan N. Little
cannot power "on" ASUS laptop after power outage

Adam wrote:
"Johnny" wrote in message
On Thu, 15 Oct 2015 11:33:13 -0700
"Adam" wrote:

System: ...
Forum: Asus Motherboards October 15th 15, 08:29 PM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,comp.sys.laptops
Replies: 87
Posted By Jonathan N. Little
cannot power "on" ASUS laptop after power outage

Adam wrote:

Can DVD drives be opened even if laptop is not powered "on"?
If so, the DVD drive is not opening.

Depends on the drive. If with a caddy then there is little hole for a...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's December 29th 14, 03:36 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Replies: 205
Posted By Jonathan N. Little
new system bootup woes

Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
On Sun, 28 Dec 2014 18:17:42 -0800
"Adam" wrote:

"Cybe R. Wizard" wrote in
message...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's December 29th 14, 03:00 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Replies: 205
Posted By Jonathan N. Little
new system bootup woes

Paul wrote:
Jonathan N. Little wrote:
Adam wrote:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/301098-28-stuck-heat-sink-remove
With a dropper, I soaked that phase change material with
Forum: Homebuilt PC's December 28th 14, 11:55 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Replies: 205
Posted By Jonathan N. Little
new system bootup woes

Adam wrote:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/301098-28-stuck-heat-sink-remove
With a dropper, I soaked that phase change material with
isopropyl rubbing alcohol 70% for some minutes.
Showing results 1 to 25 of 32