Showing results 1 to 25 of 60
Search took 0.10 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Doc[_2_]
Forum: Homebuilt PC's June 7th 13, 03:37 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 2
Posted By Doc[_2_]
Why is the process of recognizing an optical disk so slow?

Currently running a Core2 Quad, I find that putting in a DVD, CD or
Blu-Ray disk and waiting for the machine to recognize it and have it
be ready to write to still takes about as long as it did on my...
Forum: General June 7th 13, 03:37 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 1
Posted By Doc[_2_]
Why is the process of recognizing an optical disk so slow?

Currently running a Core2 Quad, I find that putting in a DVD, CD or
Blu-Ray disk and waiting for the machine to recognize it and have it
be ready to write to still takes about as long as it did on my...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's April 19th 13, 03:46 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,alt.computer.workshop
Replies: 2
Posted By Doc[_2_]
Anyone really know computer audio? Audio issue with screen videocapture app

Making video captures of online gameplay with MSI Afterburner.

The game of course has stereo audio. I find to get stereo audio in the
video captures, I have to start the capture process while I'm...
Forum: General April 19th 13, 03:46 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,alt.computer.workshop
Replies: 1
Posted By Doc[_2_]
Anyone really know computer audio? Audio issue with screen videocapture app

Making video captures of online gameplay with MSI Afterburner.

The game of course has stereo audio. I find to get stereo audio in the
video captures, I have to start the capture process while I'm...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's April 11th 13, 01:37 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,alt.computer.workshop
Replies: 4
Posted By Doc[_2_]
Vista and 7 - what considerations should I be aware of if going to them?

Thinking about getting an ebay copy of Vista or 7 for a gaming rig.
What considerations are there that I should be aware of?

-Will service packs be automatically available like they are with XP?

-I...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's April 7th 13, 12:26 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,alt.computer.workshop
Replies: 4
Posted By Doc[_2_]
Macrium backup larger than contents of drive...?

I've been using Macrium Reflect for a while and it's worked fine up to
now, but just encountered an odd glitch. I set it on max compression
but the backup file is actually larger than the h/d...
Forum: General April 7th 13, 12:16 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,alt.computer.workshop
Replies: 15
Posted By Doc[_2_]
Vista or 7 for gaming?

On Apr 7, 5:21*am, "Mr. Man-wai Chang"
wrote:
Core2 Quad, MSI GTX 460 Cyclone video card, all under DX9 of course
since that's the max XP supports. Looks pretty...
Forum: General April 7th 13, 12:14 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,alt.computer.workshop
Replies: 15
Posted By Doc[_2_]
Vista or 7 for gaming?

On Apr 7, 5:20*am, "Mr. Man-wai Chang"
wrote:

Win 7 is the best choice for speed, but Vi$ta should support old games
better. But then 64-bit Win 7 could run most old...
Forum: General April 7th 13, 01:49 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,alt.computer.workshop
Replies: 15
Posted By Doc[_2_]
Vista or 7 for gaming?

I'm currently running XP SP3, the game I play the most is Battlefield
Bad Company 2. Also have Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2. Running on a
Core2 Quad, MSI GTX 460 Cyclone video card, all under DX9 of...
Forum: General March 28th 13, 12:13 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,alt.computer.workshop
Replies: 6
Posted By Doc[_2_]
Reason for uniform spacing of molex 4-pin h/d power connectors?

On Mar 27, 4:46*pm, "SC Tom" wrote:

Industry standard, maybe? They're all color-coded the same and keyed alike,
so it lessens the chance of blowing something up.

There's no...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's March 28th 13, 12:13 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,alt.computer.workshop
Replies: 3

On Mar 27, 4:46*pm, "SC Tom" wrote:

Industry standard, maybe? They're all color-coded the same and keyed alike,
so it lessens the chance of blowing something up.

There's no...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's March 27th 13, 05:24 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,alt.computer.workshop
Replies: 3
Posted By Doc[_2_]
Reason for uniform spacing of molex 4-pin h/d power connectors?

I notice that the distance between the molex 4-pin hd power connectors
on a given line from the PSU seems to be uniform, and seems to be very
similar even on different PSU's from different manuf's...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's March 15th 13, 08:15 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,alt.computer.workshop
Replies: 11
Posted By Doc[_2_]
GetDataBack not able to recover all files - can anything be done?

I have an issue with a WD external USB 2.0 drive I was using for
backups - the plug got yanked out and the contents of the drive
disappeared and the USB controller would no longer work.

I pulled the...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's January 12th 13, 05:03 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,alt.computer.workshop
Replies: 6
Posted By Doc[_2_]
Data and formatting disappeared from 1 TB WD drive

Have a 1 TB WD SATA drive that I use as an archive drive. After firing
it up today XP recognizes it but now the data isn't showing and it
shows up as unformatted. No "whirr click" like a dying drive,...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's December 28th 12, 11:34 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 13
Posted By Doc[_2_]
How to test a PSU?

I have a PC Power and Cooling 470W unit that's a few years old but
hasn't had a lot of mileage on it and the rig it was in didn't come
near to stressing its limits. It was modestly pricey when I got...
Forum: General December 28th 12, 11:24 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 3
Posted By Doc[_2_]
Anyone have problems with Orico hard drive switch? Could it causedrive death?

On Dec 28, 11:04*am, Doc wrote:
Anyone have any issues with one of these Orico 4-drive drive switches?

I recently had a string of drive deaths. I wondered if the PSU was...
Forum: General December 28th 12, 05:04 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 3
Posted By Doc[_2_]
Anyone have problems with Orico hard drive switch? Could it causedrive death?

Anyone have any issues with one of these Orico 4-drive drive switches?

I recently had a string of drive deaths. I wondered if the PSU was a
culprit. I was using a PC Power and Cooling Silencer 470...
Forum: General November 1st 12, 02:55 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 12
Posted By Doc[_2_]
Will a processor by itself make a difference in video game resolution?

I installed an Nvidia GTX 460 video card to boost the gaming
experience. Looked far better than the 8600 GT I'd been using. Then I
went from an E8400 Core2 Duo processor to a Q9550 Core2...
Forum: General October 16th 12, 09:33 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 2
Posted By Doc[_2_]
Does CPU voltage matter regardless of core temp?

If you can keep the CPU cool, does it matter how high the voltage gets? Is the potential damage to a CPU from OC'ing solely due to heat or are there other considerations?
Forum: General October 11th 12, 07:10 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 7
Posted By Doc[_2_]
Acceptable CPU temps?

I think I've been running the cpu voltage higher than it needs to be. It's my first attempt at OC'ing and I went by what one particular site was posting - 1.4v for stable running at 4.0 gi but I...
Forum: General October 11th 12, 08:47 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 7
Posted By Doc[_2_]
Acceptable CPU temps?

On Thursday, October 11, 2012 1:12:49 AM UTC-4, Paul wrote:

My heatsink is bolted to the motherboard, so there's no question

how much pressure the heatsink is getting in terms of normal...
Forum: General October 10th 12, 11:24 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 7
Posted By Doc[_2_]
Acceptable CPU temps?

On Wednesday, October 10, 2012 1:59:42 PM UTC-4, Paul wrote:

So the readings are closer on the high end (as presumably the

trip point is calibrated at the factory). Someone did the

Forum: General October 10th 12, 05:23 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 7
Posted By Doc[_2_]
Acceptable CPU temps?

Just got an E8400 3gig Core2 Duo CPU to run on a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L Rev 2.0 board.

I've been fooling with overclocking, currently have it running at 4.0 gig. Using an OCZ Vendetta 2 cpu...
Forum: General June 28th 12, 06:10 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 11
Posted By Doc[_2_]
Is overclocking genuinely useful?

I currently have a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L mobo with a Core2 Duo 2.33 gig
processor. The CPU is just under specs for some newer video games.
Wondering about overclocking to move it into a higher realm...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's June 28th 12, 06:10 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware