Showing results 1 to 25 of 88
Search took 1.05 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: ~AlicGinnis~
Forum: Homebuilt PC's January 23rd 09, 01:19 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 7
Posted By ~AlicGinnis~
Need help, strange PC behavior, no go to desktop

I never even thought of that. Thanks, I'll check.

"Marty" wrote in message
On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 07:16:28...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's January 23rd 09, 01:19 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 7
Posted By ~AlicGinnis~
Need help, strange PC behavior, no go to desktop

thanks for ideas, will try them over the week end.
"JR Weiss" wrote in message
"~AlicGinnis~" wrote...
This...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's January 23rd 09, 01:18 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 7
Posted By ~AlicGinnis~
Need help, strange PC behavior, no go to desktop

hmm...
thanks.
wrote in message

This is a neighbor's hp pavillian circa 2000 running xp...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's January 22nd 09, 12:16 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 7
Posted By ~AlicGinnis~
Need help, strange PC behavior, no go to desktop

Hi,
This is a neighbor's hp pavillian circa 2000 running xp pro on 20 gig hard
drive with 256mb ram and 4x optical. The button battery may be dead, not
sure. Will check it later.
Symptom: Boots...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's December 15th 08, 12:33 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 25
Posted By ~AlicGinnis~
64bit vista question

thanks for replys. i ask because i am going to replace my laptop and saw a
good one that is running 64bit vista and didn't know if my software would
work with it. I don't need 4 GB of...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's December 14th 08, 06:04 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 25
Posted By ~AlicGinnis~
64bit vista question

all of my software is for 32 bit XP professional.
Will it run under 64 bit Vista Home Premium?
Thanks,
al
Forum: Homebuilt PC's December 14th 08, 06:03 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 5
Posted By ~AlicGinnis~
Looking for a PC-133 128MB SDRAM for my SOYO M/B

i have an extra one you can have.
send me your mailing address..
replace the dashes with an @ sign.
merry christmas.
al,
email your address to
andyjackson222------------yahoo.com

"isaac4all"...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's December 5th 08, 03:14 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 2
Posted By ~AlicGinnis~
quick question on pc133 memory modules

Some of my 256 MB PC133 sticks have chips on one side,
and some have them on both sides.

Is there a quality or speed difference between them, and if so
which is the better stick?

thanks,

al
Forum: Homebuilt PC's November 22nd 08, 02:19 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 6
Posted By ~AlicGinnis~
OT "United Postal Service" e-mail virus going around

Is he talking about using a clone of your widows partition?
I tried that with Aconis but it didn't work. (winxp system)

"John Doe" wrote in message...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's November 17th 08, 07:17 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 7
Posted By ~AlicGinnis~
ie 7 and firlefox only allow 6 charactors on login screens

Hey, thanks for the replys!
I still don't know what's doing it, but by using an
external keyboard plugged into the PS2 port, it
works normally so I think it may have something to
do with the...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's November 15th 08, 03:52 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 7
Posted By ~AlicGinnis~
ie 7 and firlefox only allow 6 charactors on login screens

so... at yahoo mail login, or bankamerica, etc., 6 charactors go in fine,
and on the 7th it loads the page as if the username and password were
entered and then denies access to the site.. This is...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's November 6th 08, 05:39 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 10
Posted By ~AlicGinnis~
Can you use DDR 400 in a DDR 333 Dell desktop? Does density matter?

Hi,

A friend emailed me this question. I don't know the answer and though
someone here may know. Thanks. Al

"I want to put a 512MB DDR SDRAM module in my computer. It takes DDR 333.
My Dell...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's October 31st 08, 12:32 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 7
Posted By ~AlicGinnis~
mp3 question

thanks for the tip!

"Fierce Guppy" wrote in message
~AlicGinnis~ formulated the question :
Is there a way to convert...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's October 31st 08, 11:56 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 7
Posted By ~AlicGinnis~
mp3 question

Here is the question as I received it.
"One reason I decided I needed a big storage drive is that when I started to
save my MP3s on CDs in prep for reformatting my hard drive, the MP3s were
seen as...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's October 30th 08, 11:38 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 7
Posted By ~AlicGinnis~
mp3 question

Is there a way to convert variable bit rate mp3's to fixed
128 bitrate? A friend wants to convert his mp3 collection to fixed rate.
Batch processing would be helpful.
thanks,
a.
Forum: Homebuilt PC's October 29th 08, 01:42 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 14
Posted By ~AlicGinnis~
PSU Replacement Problem

my nepthew built a pc and couldn't get it to boot.
spent a week on it.
he didn't plug in the 4 pin connector, so yeah,
that happens.

"John Leddy" wrote in message...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's October 21st 08, 04:29 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 3
Posted By ~AlicGinnis~
IE7 only connects to secure site

Thanks for the quick reply and suggestions.
He just called a few minutes ago, and said its fixed. He un-installed Zone
Alarm and turned on XP's firewall, rebooted, and that fixed it. Its working...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's October 21st 08, 02:29 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 3
Posted By ~AlicGinnis~
IE7 only connects to secure site

Hi,
My friend Bob called me last week with a strange problem and asked for help,
but I'm clueless at this point. He's running XP professional and IE7 cat
5'ed to a router. He lost the ability to...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's October 10th 08, 05:39 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 4
Posted By ~AlicGinnis~
do pc ps's work in G4 apply macs?

Hey Paul, thanks for the therough reply! I will get on it. So far I have
found the answer to your first suggentsion: find out exactly what it is.
Its a Power Mac G4 (QuickSilver),
887 Mhz, PC133,...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's October 10th 08, 06:02 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 4
Posted By ~AlicGinnis~
do pc ps's work in G4 apply macs?

After some googling it looks like all apple power
supplies are propriatary and are not interchangable between various models,
and they are not re-badged
ATX supplies.
If I'm wrong about this, please...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's October 9th 08, 07:54 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 4
Posted By ~AlicGinnis~
do pc ps's work in G4 apply macs?

I agreed to take a shot at an Apple G4 Power Mac circa 2001 that's broken.
Pushing the go button gives nothing, so I'm starting at the power supply.
Its 344 watts, made in china. Thing is, I never...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's October 9th 08, 02:59 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 1
Posted By ~AlicGinnis~
compaq v2000 laptop looses optical drive vanishes

compaq v2000 laptop , 3yrs old, xp home, turion 64 cpu, & standard stuff. 2
gb memory.

Sometimes when the system boots it doesn't detect the
optical drive, DVD-CD/RW. Sometimes it does. When it...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's October 8th 08, 07:20 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 2
Posted By ~AlicGinnis~
hard drives not working

I had the same problem.
The drives were OK.
I got an IDE to USB2 interface, and they all
showed up. So now I know the drives are
good and it's something in the PC causing the
issue.

"Paul"...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's September 28th 08, 04:01 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 12
Posted By ~AlicGinnis~
Wireless Range improvement Question

You can extand range with a usb antenna and software.
for a few bucks more you can get a really good antenna.
here's an example of an expensive...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's September 24th 08, 04:47 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 3
Posted By ~AlicGinnis~
a7v600 won't power up

I think all you have to do to