Showing results 1 to 25 of 500
Search took 0.88 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Man-wai Chang
Forum: Storage (alternative) February 5th 13, 01:57 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 5
Posted By Man-wai Chang
SATA eSATA IDE HDD Dock ..HD spinning forever?

I am using a Using a DUAL 2.5 3.5 SATA eSATA IDE HDD Dock..with a 1GB
sata 3.5 drive in it.. connected to my home network via Seagate
Dockstar, set up so the drive is working as a NAS...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's January 11th 13, 05:36 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 28
Posted By Man-wai Chang
New Build PC Spontaneously Reboots Sometimes Before OS Load

| Memory | 4x4 GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 2133 | Jan 2013 |
| | (KHX2133C11D3K4/16GX) | |

Then the screen goes black and I'm looking at...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's January 4th 13, 03:29 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 7
Posted By Man-wai Chang
N-Key Rollover keyboard

Thank you all for the replies!

--
@~@ Remain silent. Nothing from soldiers and magicians is real!
/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty! May the Force and farces be with you!

N-key lockout. Feels awful, like typing on an old mechanical
typewriter that jams if more than 2 keys are pressed at once.

Thanks! Good analogy here.. :)

--
@~@ Remain silent. Nothing...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's January 3rd 13, 04:50 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

On 3/01/2013 9:38 PM, Man-wai Chang wrote:

What's the opposite of N-Key Rollover?

I meant the name for that...

--
@~@ Remain silent. Nothing from soldiers and magicians is real!
/ v \...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's January 3rd 13, 02:38 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 7
Posted By Man-wai Chang
N-Key Rollover keyboard

What's the opposite of N-Key Rollover?

--
@~@ Remain silent. Nothing from soldiers and magicians is real!
/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty! May the Force and farces be with you!
/( _ )\ (Fedora...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's November 26th 12, 11:01 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.design
Replies: 90
Posted By Man-wai Chang
USB PORTS on the motherboard WORST INVENTION EVER.

THE USB PORTS ARE DESIGNED SO RETARDLY that it is actually possible to
connect the USB PLUGS wrongly very easily !!!

SO is your 110V AC socket (in Hong Kong, it's 220V) ? You could short it...
Forum: Storage (alternative) October 18th 12, 11:41 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 101
Posted By Man-wai Chang
Enterprise versus "consumer" grade drives

If you use RAID0, your data is basically doomed anyways, unless
you have good backup. If you have good backup, no need to go for
enterprise drives. RAID0 is basically always a bad choice...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's October 8th 12, 11:13 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 8
Posted By Man-wai Chang
BlueTooth dongle versions and wireless speakers

http://www.amazon.com/STEREO-TRANSMITTER-Player-iPod-touch%C2%AE/product-reviews/B005YW0Y3C/ref=dp_db_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

This one is designed for cars. It's expensive as...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's October 8th 12, 11:12 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 8
Posted By Man-wai Chang
BlueTooth dongle versions and wireless speakers

Yes, you can buy those. There's probably a pretty low
limit on transmit power levels though. Some of these listed
a transmitter range of only 5 meters. Which is pretty weak.
Paul

Forum: Homebuilt PC's October 8th 12, 09:27 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 8
Posted By Man-wai Chang
BlueTooth dongle versions and wireless speakers

In general, the documentation of Bluetooth leaves
a lot to be desired. They tried to use the concept
of "profiles", but there's still a lot of information
consumers could use, that is...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's October 6th 12, 01:24 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 19
Posted By Man-wai Chang
dual boot vs virtual OS

I think dual boot is better, faster, yes? And if you get a virus on
dual boot that you cannot remove, just reinstall from a backup
snapshot, yes?

Dual-boot meant the virus could infect both...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's October 5th 12, 03:33 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 8
Posted By Man-wai Chang
BlueTooth dongle versions and wireless speakers

So then the question becomes, what are the capabilities of
SBC (Sub-Band Codec) versus Apt-X ? And would the speakers
and their amplifier be of good enough quality, to care ?

Never thought...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's October 5th 12, 12:32 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 8
Posted By Man-wai Chang
BlueTooth dongle versions and wireless speakers

Do I need 4.0?

Could I just use 2.0 and connect to all Bluetooth speakers out there?

--
@~@ Remain silent. Nothing from soldiers and magicians is real!
/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty! May the...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's October 4th 12, 01:43 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 19
Posted By Man-wai Chang
Win 7 too expensive

I tried out the Win8 Release Preview and found it to be obnoxious. It would be
seriously overpriced at $70, IMO. Even with Classic Shell, it's basically too
drastic a step down from XP Pro. ...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's October 4th 12, 09:27 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 19
Posted By Man-wai Chang
Win 7 ultimate iso info--help me decipher this pls - piratedsoftware? Not.

No, I have the one from the link you gave--I found that link too. I will probably try the other SLAC programs first,that came with the torrent,then try the Daz Loader if the others fail...after...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's October 3rd 12, 04:16 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 19
Posted By Man-wai Chang
Win 7 ultimate iso info--help me decipher this pls - piratedsoftware? Not.

Depending, the cost of enrolling is around #30/unit in the community
colleges. The "upgrade" to win8 is $40 USD; so far, I've found that
upgrade editions can do full installs if one tells it...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's October 3rd 12, 01:27 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 19
Posted By Man-wai Chang
Win 7 ultimate iso info--help me decipher this pls - piratedsoftware? Not.

Academically, what that means, if and were I running it in some other
sense, is that if I sign up for an academic course, say in basket
weaving, I believe it is in a later spirit of Bill's...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's October 3rd 12, 11:54 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 19
Posted By Man-wai Chang
Win 7 too expensive

If Microsoft sold licenses at a more reasonable price (say $25 US) I would not
have to resort to this...this is only for a virtual OS machine I am
building.

I agree. Given the world's...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's October 3rd 12, 11:49 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 19
Posted By Man-wai Chang
Win 7 ultimate iso info--help me decipher this pls - piratedsoftware? Not.

have you or anybody you know used Daz Windows Loader recently successfully?

Maybe you downloaded the wrong or fake one... :)

--
@~@ Remain silent. Nothing from soldiers and magicians is...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's October 3rd 12, 11:48 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 19
Posted By Man-wai Chang
Win 7 ultimate iso info--help me decipher this pls - piratedsoftware? Not.

I believe the following link is the official thread:

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/24901-Windows-Loader-Current-release-information

Some anti-virus programs would mark this kind of...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's October 2nd 12, 09:58 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 19
Posted By Man-wai Chang
Win 7 ultimate iso info--help me decipher this pls - piratedsoftware? Not.

Installs/Uninstalls/Detects public SLIC emulators:
- W7 Loader
- Open W7 Loader
- SLIC Driver
- Vista Boot
- WOW7 Loader
- MBR SLIC Loader
- Vista Loader

Use only Daz Windows Loader,...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's October 1st 12, 12:10 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 5
Posted By Man-wai Chang
Who is upgrading to Windows 8 right away? LOL

On 1/10/2012 1:28 AM, RayLopez99 wrote:
I don't see a real need to upgrade from my present Windows 7 OS. Same for any SQL Server version from the present 2008--what is the next, 2012? Again no...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's September 18th 12, 05:58 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 21
Posted By Man-wai Chang
Recent build has given me nothing but headaches - trouble shootingadvice needed

Biostar TZ68A+ mobo
Core i5 2500
- I'm getting blue screens and I can't figure out the cause. I ran
Memtest on both sticks of RAM overnight - no errors. I took out the
SSD and...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's September 18th 12, 05:55 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 6
Posted By Man-wai Chang
OT Black Mesa

I was lucky, had been playing steam games a couple days ago and was all
updated.
Black Mesa running fine and sure looks great.
Guess I have to wait...

I switched my location from "Hong...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 500