Showing results 1 to 25 of 500
Search took 0.97 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Paul[_28_]
Forum: Homebuilt PC's Yesterday, 10:41 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 11
Posted By Paul[_28_]
Post problem with Z77H2-A3 motherboard

Bob F wrote:

The BIOS seems to default to running at the 1600MHz the RAM is rated
for. If I change memory clk multiplier to manual at 10 instead of 12, it
will now boot every time at 1333...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's Yesterday, 12:50 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 11
Posted By Paul[_28_]
Post problem with Z77H2-A3 motherboard

Bob F wrote:

Wow! You've given me a lot to think about. But I just found another
clue maybe.

It seems that moving the RAM SIMM from one slot to another or adding
another SIMM...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's April 1st 20, 07:05 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 11
Posted By Paul[_28_]
Post problem with Z77H2-A3 motherboard

Bob F wrote:
My ECS Z77H2-A3 V1.2 motherboard with an I5-2500K processor worked fine
for years, then started having occasional problems when turned on, it
would not post occasionally. The...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's March 29th 20, 10:26 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 4
Posted By Paul[_28_]
Slightly OT - Texas Instruments ad from 1977 - Two Bytes arebetter than one

MummyChunk wrote:
Oh- how far we have come with computers. Seeing this ad really gave a
reminder today.

Two Bytes Are Better Than One

TEXAS INSTRUMENTS

TMS 9900 16BIT
Forum: General March 26th 20, 03:16 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 2
Posted By Paul[_28_]
HP-Notebook Ausio Ausgabe

Wolfgang Fieg wrote:
HP X 2 Notebook - WIN 10 Home

Das Gerät hat eine kombinierte Kopfhörer-Micro-Buchse. Die kann man z.
B. bei einer Telfonkonferenz als Micro-Buchse verwenden. Nur:...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's March 10th 20, 10:11 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 4
Posted By Paul[_28_]
CPU temp hits 80C then cools back to 55/60 [memtest]

wrote:
On Tuesday, March 10, 2020 at 12:44:17 AM UTC+8, Paul wrote:
It's hard to say what core it is.

I noticed this happens when the PC started cold, i.e. after it...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's March 9th 20, 04:44 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 4
Posted By Paul[_28_]
CPU temp hits 80C then cools back to 55/60 [memtest]

wrote:
I was running memtest on an LGA2011 system that seemed to have memory issues.
I noticed that when memtest starts, the core temperature is up to 80 Celsius.
Then it...
Forum: General March 8th 20, 08:59 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 35
Posted By Paul[_28_]
Getting there

Norm Why wrote:
A lot of the time, BIOS flashers are MSDOS ones.

In some cases, by having a FAT32 partition and hard drive
on the machine, flash images larger than a floppy can...
Forum: General March 8th 20, 04:27 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 35
Posted By Paul[_28_]
Getting there

Norm Why wrote:

Thanks Paul. BartPE is limited by lack of drivers. I think I should make a
bootable Win10 USB stick and use Win10 to update BIOS. Then maybe my copy of
Win10 on SSD will...
Forum: General March 7th 20, 11:50 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 35
Posted By Paul[_28_]
Getting there

Norm Why wrote:
Are the RAM sticks "enthusiast" RAM or regular RAM ?

Regular RAM doesn't have heatsinks - that's one possible indicator.

Enthusiast RAM has a voltage spec. It...
Forum: General March 7th 20, 07:54 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 35
Posted By Paul[_28_]
Getting there

Norm Why wrote:
Yes and yes.

The problem seems to be that the BIOS program does not respond to my PS/2
keyboard. I have BT keyboard and mouse. That seems a goofy idea. I have a
Forum: Homebuilt PC's February 23rd 20, 08:14 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 9
Posted By Paul[_28_]
Avast Defraggler reads cookies during install.

wrote:
This tool can be used to see frags per file:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/contig

With the -a option ;)

Unfortunately it...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's February 23rd 20, 08:06 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 9
Posted By Paul[_28_]
Avast Defraggler reads cookies during install.

wrote:
Unfortunately it's not possible to inspect the pagefile.sys for file fragments, at least not in an easy way:

1. Tried disabing page file and booting to safe mode...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's February 23rd 20, 08:03 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 9
Posted By Paul[_28_]
Avast Defraggler reads cookies during install.

wrote:
Also booting laptop with HDMI plugged into to receiver for audio is not without risk.

The boot screen/boot process can not be seen, so this was another annoying...
Forum: Nvidia Videocards February 13th 20, 11:56 PM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Replies: 2
Posted By Paul[_28_]
PS/2 vs USB Keyboard and why Logitech K120 belongs in trash !

wrote:
WELL FOR NOW.

I already decided some time ago to postpone all video related editing processing and uploading until I find a way to do it much faster.

This...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's February 12th 20, 04:51 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 7
Posted By Paul[_28_]
128 bit addressing for harddisk/block addressing.

Bill wrote:
Paul wrote:
wrote:
(Prepare yourself, I don't know how yet ;) except demanding this =D)

Title: 128 bit addressing for harddisk/block...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's February 10th 20, 05:29 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 10
Posted By Paul[_28_]
A strange weakness in all MS Windows versions

wrote:
On Monday, February 10, 2020 at 1:56:49 AM UTC+1, Char Jackson wrote:
On Sun, 9 Feb 2020 15:38:10 -0800 (PST), wrote:

It contains no...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's February 10th 20, 01:03 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

wrote:
(Prepare yourself, I don't know how yet ;) except demanding this =D)

Title: 128 bit addressing for harddisk/block addressing.

I will share with you what I...
Forum: General February 7th 20, 03:45 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 35
Posted By Paul[_28_]
Getting there

Norm Why wrote:
[snippage]
Place the ground of your multimeter on an I/O screw on the back panel.
I like to clip the black probe to a screw, so I only need one hand
to make...
Forum: General February 7th 20, 01:19 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 7
Posted By Paul[_28_]
KVM Anomaly

wrote:
On Thu, 6 Feb 2020 11:03:03 -0500, John McGaw wrote:

On 2/6/2020 9:45 AM, wrote:
This has been driving me nuts.
I cannot...
Forum: General February 7th 20, 12:47 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 7
Posted By Paul[_28_]
KVM Anomaly

On 2/6/2020 9:45 AM, wrote:
This has been driving me nuts.
I cannot...
Forum: General February 6th 20, 12:26 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 2
Posted By Paul[_28_]
Use ExpressCard/54 slot to expand RAM on netbook?

wrote:
Hi all.

Perhaps this is not feasible, but I'd still like to know.
So here goes...

I bought a handy HP 2140 netbook.
Its only drawback is that it's limited...
Forum: General February 2nd 20, 11:22 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 35
Posted By Paul[_28_]
Getting there

Norm Why wrote:
[snippage]
Q: What do the beeps emitted during the POST mean?
A: The following Award BIOS beep code descriptions may help you identify
possible computer...
Forum: General February 2nd 20, 02:40 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 35
Posted By Paul[_28_]
Getting there

Norm Why wrote:

Thanks Paul,

I messed around with temperature enough. The MOBO has been recycling in a
hot room. The infrared thermometer allows me to do controlled but
pointless...
Forum: General January 31st 20, 12:33 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 35
Posted By Paul[_28_]
Getting there

Norm Why wrote:
Thanks. I should mention that at this point I have one 500 MB RAM stick
installed with the Intel heat sink cooler on the CPU. Maybe I will try
a no RAM boot. If I...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 500

Forum Jump