Showing results 1 to 25 of 242
Search took 0.26 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Bill Davidsen
Forum: Intel June 24th 13, 05:50 PM Posted to comp.sys.intel
Replies: 3
Posted By Bill Davidsen
Haswell CPU needs new power supply?

BW wrote:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20130430230347_Intel_Core_i_Haswell_Microprocessors_May_Require_New_Power_Supply_Units_for_PCs.html

Brilliant, Intel.
Is this going to stop...
Forum: Intel March 30th 13, 04:57 AM Posted to comp.sys.intel
Replies: 4
Posted By Bill Davidsen
Can a Pentium-4 CPU partially fail? (internal cache performancedegradation)

Intel Guy wrote:
Bill Davidsen wrote:

But the memtest shows something interesting.

Instead of getting this:

L1 cache - 8kb - 20763 mb/sec
L2 cache - 512kb - 17714...
Forum: Intel March 25th 13, 01:49 AM Posted to comp.sys.intel
Replies: 4
Posted By Bill Davidsen
Can a Pentium-4 CPU partially fail? (internal cache performancedegradation)

Intel Guy wrote:
I have several idential Soyo i845 motherboards that date from 2003 -
2005 time-frame, and several 2.53 ghz Pentium-4 CPU's (.13 micron single
core) with 8k/512k cache.

All...
Forum: Intel March 16th 13, 09:17 PM Posted to comp.sys.intel
Replies: 3
Posted By Bill Davidsen
Ivy Bridge i5-3570K without rdrand

VanguardLH wrote:
Mario Andretti wrote:

Installed i5-3570K into GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 mobo. I am not getting the
RDRAND feature! The rdrand instruction results in "illegal opcode".
Looking at...
Forum: Intel February 10th 13, 10:25 PM Posted to comp.sys.intel
Replies: 1
Posted By Bill Davidsen
Intel i7 3930K - availibility

Netman wrote:
Hello!

Do you know when Intel i7 3930K will be available in Poland?
The premiere of this processor was 14th/15th November, but it
is unavailble in Poland. Do you know real...
Forum: Intel February 4th 13, 07:52 PM Posted to comp.sys.intel
Replies: 7
Posted By Bill Davidsen
SATA PCI Adapter That Uses Matrix Storage Manager?

W wrote:
Does anyone make a PCI adapter that supports at least two eSATA ports with
port multipliers, and uses the Intel Matrix Storage manager software for
RAID functions?

IIRC that is...
Forum: Intel December 1st 11, 09:22 PM Posted to comp.sys.intel
Replies: 3
Posted By Bill Davidsen
i7 970X = rockinghorse ****?

Orson Cart wrote:
"Tom wrote:

The 980X might be available cheaper now that the 990X is out.

Actually there is no 970X: I was lead astray by sloppy people
Forum: Intel June 25th 11, 08:26 PM Posted to comp.sys.intel
Replies: 5
Posted By Bill Davidsen
Question on Quickpath

Ghostrider 00 wrote:
On 6/18/2011 4:08 PM, W wrote:
I noticed that some of the newer Intel i7 processors like 990X and
some of
the newer Xeon like E5690 use a separate memory bus from...
Forum: Intel May 24th 11, 03:57 PM Posted to comp.sys.intel
Replies: 2
Posted By Bill Davidsen
Intel's new 3D transistors will leave competiton for dead

Robert Myers wrote:

If and when it becomes clear that ARM is a significant player in
problems of interest to me, maybe I'll take some time to learn
something beyond what real computer...
Forum: Intel May 24th 11, 03:51 PM Posted to comp.sys.intel
Replies: 1
Posted By Bill Davidsen
Intel's new 3D transistors will leave competiton for dead

Yousuf Khan wrote:
On 11-05-13 11:03 AM, Nomen Nescio wrote:
This is one of the biggest breakthroughs in integrated circuits
since I don't know when.
In 2020 we will have the equivalent of...
Forum: Intel March 27th 11, 05:35 PM Posted to comp.sys.intel
Replies: 6
Posted By Bill Davidsen
What is the maximum clock rate given the state of today's technology?~

GreenXenon wrote:
~Hi:

What is the maximum physically-possible clock rate [measured in Hz] of
a 1-bit-per-cycle, single-core, purely-serial processor?

I think you are in the wrong group for...
Forum: Intel March 3rd 11, 07:46 PM Posted to comp.sys.intel
Replies: 9
Posted By Bill Davidsen
SATA III - is it going to immprove anything?

Shaun wrote:
I was reading specs on hard drive, specifically data transfer rates and it
looks like they're much lower than even the SATA II maximum data transfer
rates, so why did they come out...
Forum: Intel February 25th 11, 04:13 PM Posted to comp.sys.intel
Replies: 5
Posted By Bill Davidsen
New Itanium info

Some new Itanium info is out, http://goo.gl/vBg63 gives details on the eight
core 32nm version of the chip just announced.
Forum: Intel February 22nd 11, 02:16 AM Posted to comp.sys.intel
Replies: 3
Posted By Bill Davidsen
Looking for an update

Hanz wrote:
I have the following:
1. Intel DH57JG motherboard
2. Intel Core I3-530 CPU
3. 2BG DDR3-1333 RAM

I want up upgrade to a newer/faster system.

Any ideas?
Forum: Intel February 22nd 11, 02:09 AM Posted to comp.sys.intel
Replies: 4
Posted By Bill Davidsen
hyperthreading CPU benchmark joke

Robert Myers wrote:
On Feb 17, 8:11 am, Yousuf wrote:
On 13/02/2011 7:51 AM, Orson Cart wrote:

I tried this benchmark suite called INQUISITOR on...
Forum: Intel February 12th 11, 04:41 PM Posted to comp.sys.intel
Replies: 0
Posted By Bill Davidsen
should I use triple-channel RAM with quad-core CPU?

Nomen Nescio wrote:
About 5 years ago, I was working in a geophysical processing centre.
This involves lots of number crunching, and also lots of data
shifting. They were always trying out...
Forum: Intel January 15th 11, 06:12 PM Posted to comp.sys.intel
Replies: 3
Posted By Bill Davidsen
Anyone Make ATOM D510 Server With Four Slots?

W wrote:
wrote in message
I want to try using an ATOM D510 as a firewall and I need many network
Forum: Intel November 22nd 10, 03:03 PM Posted to comp.sys.intel
Replies: 9
Posted By Bill Davidsen
Anyone Windows Hardware With Energy Saving Equal to Apple MacMini?

W wrote:
"Bill wrote in message
Intel Guy wrote:
Bill Davidsen wrote:

although mine will be RHEL6 for...
Forum: Intel November 21st 10, 04:54 PM Posted to comp.sys.intel
Replies: 2
Posted By Bill Davidsen
How much force is needed to lock the i7-970 CPU in place?

Peter Jason wrote:
I have a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7 motherboard and I have just
inserted the i7-970 CPU, carefully following the
instructions outlined in the motherboard and the Intel CPU's
Forum: Intel November 21st 10, 04:51 PM Posted to comp.sys.intel
Replies: 9
Posted By Bill Davidsen
Anyone Windows Hardware With Energy Saving Equal to Apple MacMini?

Intel Guy wrote:
Bill Davidsen wrote:

although mine will be RHEL6 for firewall use.

What would such a firewall do differently (or additionally) vs what your
NAT-enabled broad-band modem...
Forum: Intel November 20th 10, 03:16 PM Posted to comp.sys.intel
Replies: 9
Posted By Bill Davidsen
Anyone Windows Hardware With Energy Saving Equal to Apple MacMini?

W wrote:
I was looking for a server to use as a DNS appliance on a network, and I
wanted to find one that uses a minimum amount of energy. I stumbled on the
Apple Mac Mini. Somehow they...
Forum: Intel October 7th 10, 09:43 PM Posted to comp.sys.intel
Replies: 4
Posted By Bill Davidsen
Systems with Light Peak May Hit the Market in 2011

Yousuf Khan wrote:
On 9/21/2010 8:20 PM, Intel Guy wrote:
This is why we won't see USB-3 integrated into Intel chipsets for the
foreseeable future...

It's yet another Intel marketing...
Forum: Intel October 7th 10, 09:20 PM Posted to comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video
Replies: 41
Posted By Bill Davidsen
AMD kills off ATI brandname, finally

wrote:
On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 10:58:35 -0400, Bill wrote:

Yousuf Khan wrote:
On 19/09/2010 6:33 PM, wrote:
On...
Forum: Intel September 20th 10, 04:11 PM Posted to comp.sys.intel
Replies: 2
Posted By Bill Davidsen
Asus Sabretooth M/B on sale at Newegg

Intel Guy wrote:
Bill Davidsen wrote:

Asus has a new "Sabretooth" mobo on sale at the moment

Does it come with drivers for XP?

Good question, let you know when mine arrives. I'm a Linux...
Forum: Intel September 20th 10, 03:58 PM Posted to comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video
Replies: 41
Posted By Bill Davidsen
AMD kills off ATI brandname, finally

Yousuf Khan wrote:
On 19/09/2010 6:33 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 19 Sep 2010 15:04:00 -0400, Yousuf

wrote:

On 10-09-16 11:41 PM,...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 242