HardwareBanter

-   Storage (alternative) (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Why is it taking days to copy 80gigs from internal to external USBdrive takes days (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=165492)

[email protected] February 23rd 08 04:05 PM

Why is it taking days to copy 80gigs from internal to external USBdrive takes days

I have an internal hard drive hooked up as a slave to a computer and a
USB external connected. I am trying to copy about 80 gigs to the
external from the slaved internal. It has literally been running 10
hours and has copied less than quarter of it based on the progress
bar. It is also claiming it will take another 2 days 23 hours to
complete. It sits on one file for as much as 5 minutes or more before
on to the next one. Is this unusually slow. I've set the the external
to Optimize Performance in Device Manager. Oh and this is being done
on Windows XP and both the internal slave and the external drive are
NTFS partitions. Any ideas why it is taking so long?

Thanks in advance,
Adam

Rod Speed February 23rd 08 05:06 PM

wrote:
I have an internal hard drive hooked up as a slave to a computer and a
USB external connected. I am trying to copy about 80 gigs to the
external from the slaved internal. It has literally been running 10
hours and has copied less than quarter of it based on the progress
bar. It is also claiming it will take another 2 days 23 hours to
complete. It sits on one file for as much as 5 minutes or more before
on to the next one. Is this unusually slow. I've set the the external
to Optimize Performance in Device Manager. Oh and this is being done
on Windows XP and both the internal slave and the external drive are
NTFS partitions. Any ideas why it is taking so long?

Most likely you've only got a USB 1.1 connection to the external drive and
whatever you are doing the copying with isnt using that very well at all.

Gotde T Shirt[_2_] February 23rd 08 06:47 PM

On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 08:05:17 -0800 (PST), wrote:

I have an internal hard drive hooked up as a slave to a computer and a
USB external connected. I am trying to copy about 80 gigs to the
external from the slaved internal. It has literally been running 10
hours and has copied less than quarter of it based on the progress
bar. It is also claiming it will take another 2 days 23 hours to
complete. It sits on one file for as much as 5 minutes or more before
on to the next one. Is this unusually slow.

Yes, that is very slow.

I've set the the external
to Optimize Performance in Device Manager. Oh and this is being done
on Windows XP and both the internal slave and the external drive are
NTFS partitions. Any ideas why it is taking so long?

As a first step it would be useful to determine whether the source or the
destination (or both?) is slowing things. Suggest you:
1) Stop the copy.
2) Download and install HDTune from he
http://www.hdtune.com/
3) Run bench mark tests on the internal hard drive and the external drive
and report the two results here. [Use the copy-to-clipboard toolbar button
to save you typing the results]

Arno Wagner February 24th 08 01:55 AM

Previously wrote:
I have an internal hard drive hooked up as a slave to a computer and a
USB external connected. I am trying to copy about 80 gigs to the
external from the slaved internal. It has literally been running 10
hours and has copied less than quarter of it based on the progress
bar. It is also claiming it will take another 2 days 23 hours to
complete. It sits on one file for as much as 5 minutes or more before
on to the next one. Is this unusually slow. I've set the the external
to Optimize Performance in Device Manager. Oh and this is being done
on Windows XP and both the internal slave and the external drive are
NTFS partitions. Any ideas why it is taking so long?

Thanks in advance,
Adam

Lets see. First the estimation about how fast it is is pretty
inaccurate, as XP usually is. Lets assume it can do 80GB in
80 hours. That would be about 300kB/sec, i.e. about 3Mbit/sec.

Hmm. USB maybe running only at 11MBit/sec due to missing fast
USB drivers or an USB 1.0 port or hub?

Arno

[email protected] February 24th 08 04:24 PM

On Feb 24, 1:55*am, Arno Wagner wrote:
Previously wrote:
[...]

I once had a laptop that was extremely slow when copying large NTFS
compressed files. Uncompressed files were OK.

If either drive has 'failing' sectors, it could be doing many retries,
and hence very slow

Michael
www.cnwrecovery.com