HardwareBanter

-   Dell Computers (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   What Disk Contains Adobe Reader? (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=128890)

Dick June 12th 06 05:21 PM

What Disk Contains Adobe Reader?

On a late model Dell, which disk would contain the Adobe Reader that
comes pre-installed? The only thing I have that looks like it might
is labeled, "Dell Dimension and XPS ResourceCD." It also says,
"Drivers and Utilities." I have looked through the files, but many
are compressed and/or not identified. Don't see anything with Adobe
on it.

Dick June 12th 06 06:26 PM

What Disk Contains Adobe Reader?

I know, but in order to uninstall the one Dell put on, and install
7.0, it asks for a disk which we apparently don't have.

Dick

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 16:54:19 GMT, "Tom Scales"
wrote:

I doubt if it is on any of the disks. It is too easily available online at
www.adobe.com

.. .

Notan June 12th 06 06:50 PM

Dick wrote:

I know, but in order to uninstall the one Dell put on, and install
7.0, it asks for a disk which we apparently don't have.

snip

You're asked for a disk to *uninstall* a program?

Notan

Dick June 12th 06 07:01 PM

What Disk Contains Adobe Reader?

Here's more of the story. This is a friend's computer that I am
trying to help him with. I see now that the earlier version came from
copying files from his old computer. Here's what he said:

It isn't Firefox, its my computer. I screwed up the version of Adobe
Acrobat reader 7.0 that came with it trying to install a plugin for
Firefox. It turned out to be what looked like the complete Acrobat
Reader, so I cancelled it.

From stuff that transferred from my old PC, my computer thinks there
is a Version 6.0 there. I can't remove it using the normal 'Remove
Programs' function. I have removed all the 6.0 and 7.0 Acrobat
directories and removed the entries for them in the register.

However, when I download Acrobat 7.0 and try to install it, I get a
popup window saying a feature I need to install is on a CD and asking
to put in the CD. I didn't get an Acrobat CD with my new machine. I
get the same message when I try to remove 6.0 using the 'Remove
Programs' function.

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 17:42:57 GMT, "Tom Scales"
wrote:

I've never had to do an uninstall to do an upgrade. It's asking?

.. .

Notan June 12th 06 07:05 PM

Dick wrote:

Here's more of the story. This is a friend's computer that I am
trying to help him with. I see now that the earlier version came from
copying files from his old computer. Here's what he said:

It isn't Firefox, its my computer. I screwed up the version of Adobe
Acrobat reader 7.0 that came with it trying to install a plugin for
Firefox. It turned out to be what looked like the complete Acrobat
Reader, so I cancelled it.

From stuff that transferred from my old PC, my computer thinks there
is a Version 6.0 there. I can't remove it using the normal 'Remove
Programs' function. I have removed all the 6.0 and 7.0 Acrobat
directories and removed the entries for them in the register.

However, when I download Acrobat 7.0 and try to install it, I get a
popup window saying a feature I need to install is on a CD and asking
to put in the CD. I didn't get an Acrobat CD with my new machine. I
get the same message when I try to remove 6.0 using the 'Remove
Programs' function.

snip

What "feature?"

Notan

Dick June 12th 06 08:11 PM

What Disk Contains Adobe Reader?

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 11:50:57 -0600, Notan
wrote:

Dick wrote:

I know, but in order to uninstall the one Dell put on, and install
7.0, it asks for a disk which we apparently don't have.

snip

You're asked for a disk to *uninstall* a program?

Notan

I have seen that before. I think with some Microsoft programs.

Dick

Fred Mau June 12th 06 08:32 PM

What Disk Contains Adobe Reader?

Dick wrote in
:

Here's more of the story. This is a friend's computer that I am
trying to help him with. I see now that the earlier version came from
copying files from his old computer. Here's what he said:...

... From stuff that transferred from my old PC, my computer thinks there
is a Version 6.0 there. I can't remove it using the normal 'Remove
Programs' function. I have removed all the 6.0 and 7.0 Acrobat
directories and removed the entries for them in the register...

I would re-install v6.0 of Adobe reader just so that you can remove it
using the normal add/remove utility.

This should straighten out the registry so you can install v7. I have
doubts that ALL of the relevant registry entries were removed. Being a
relational database, sometimes some of the indirect entries aren't real
obvious.

Or, use a registry cleaner like CleanSweep, QuickClean, etc.

- FM -

Bob Levine June 12th 06 09:45 PM

Dick wrote:

On a late model Dell, which disk would contain the Adobe Reader that
comes pre-installed? The only thing I have that looks like it might
is labeled, "Dell Dimension and XPS ResourceCD." It also says,
"Drivers and Utilities." I have looked through the files, but many
are compressed and/or not identified. Don't see anything with Adobe
on it.

You might want to pay a visit to the Adobe User to User forums if you
can't get an answer here.

Bob