HardwareBanter

-   -   Scrambled Display Vista nVidia (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=162297)

David P. Greer December 25th 07 01:55 AM

Scrambled Display Vista nVidia

I am having a problem with a scrambled display in Vista. Here's what's
happening:

If the computer has been idle long enough for the display to go into
standby mode, once it is reawakened, everything seems normal. That is,
until you do something that requires UAC, or a 3D game. When the UAC
screen dimms, the screen becomes totally scrambled. The same if you
start a 3D game like Doom. There is no clearing the display - the
computer has to be rebooted.

Interestingly, if after the computer wakes from standby I log off, then
log back on, the system performs properly, with no screen scrambling.

The system is an Athlon X2 6000, nVidia 7900GT, Vista Ultimate (32-bit)
with all the updates and patches. I have installed the nVidia 169.25
drivers, though this problem has existed with all the previous drivers.

Has anyone else had this problem? Has anyone found a solution?

Thanks for your feedback.

BigJim December 25th 07 09:34 AM

Scrambled Display Vista nVidia

yep same problem with a 7600gt the only solution I have found is to reboot
the machine before
playing a game. BTW it does it with xp also. Has to be a driver or chipset
issue with the 7xxx series cards.
I use XFX card maybe it is just that brand.

Impmon December 25th 07 12:45 PM

Scrambled Display Vista nVidia

On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 03:34:43 -0500, "BigJim"
wrote:

yep same problem with a 7600gt the only solution I have found is to reboot
the machine before
playing a game. BTW it does it with xp also. Has to be a driver or chipset
issue with the 7xxx series cards.
I use XFX card maybe it is just that brand.

I have 7900gs and XP and I haven't experienced corrupted display after
suspend or hiberbare. It's a PNY brand.

Man-wai Chang ToDie December 25th 07 01:07 PM

Scrambled Display Vista nVidia

until you do something that requires UAC, or a 3D game. When the UAC
screen dimms, the screen becomes totally scrambled. The same if you
start a 3D game like Doom. There is no clearing the display - the
computer has to be rebooted.

Could it be over-heating in your PC case?

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (Xubuntu 7.04) Linux 2.6.23.12

Man-wai Chang ToDie December 25th 07 01:08 PM

Man-wai Chang ToDie wrote:
until you do something that requires UAC, or a 3D game. When the UAC
screen dimms, the screen becomes totally scrambled. The same if you
start a 3D game like Doom. There is no clearing the display - the
computer has to be rebooted.

Could it be over-heating in your PC case?

Try opening the case while using the PC and see if it would happen again.

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (Xubuntu 7.04) Linux 2.6.23.12
^ ^ 20:07:01 up 1 day 10:38 0 users load average: 0.09 0.08 0.02
? ? (CSSA):

Mephisto December 25th 07 07:44 PM

[...]

Yea, I had that issue as did many others with 7900GT. The solution is to
start an RMA with the card manufacturer pronto. 7900GT is a **** card
plagued by this issue. There's a reason no one is selling 7900GT anymore and
yet they still continue to sell FX series cards. Only way some people have
said they fixed this issue was to either overclock or downclock the ram. If
you had an 8800GT etc. you would be experiencing no such issue.

David P. Greer December 25th 07 10:29 PM

Man-wai Chang ToDie wrote:
until you do something that requires UAC, or a 3D game. When the UAC
screen dimms, the screen becomes totally scrambled. The same if you
start a 3D game like Doom. There is no clearing the display - the
computer has to be rebooted.

Could it be over-heating in your PC case?

No. The system is in a well-ventilated Antec P180 case, and both the
CPU and video card have Zalman coolers. According to nTune, the card is
at about 44 degrees, the CPU is at about 40.

Also, the problem occurs immediately after awakening from standby, so
the card and CPU would be at their resting temperatures, for the most part.

Thanks for the suggestion - I wish it was something simple to cure, like
overheating, but it seems to be a problem elsewhere.

BigJim wrote that his card, with the same problem, was an XFX brand. My
7900 GT is also an XFX, so I am going to explore this problem with them.
We'll see what they have to say.

David P. Greer December 25th 07 10:34 PM

Mephisto wrote:

Yea, I had that issue as did many others with 7900GT. The solution is to
start an RMA with the card manufacturer pronto. 7900GT is a **** card
plagued by this issue. There's a reason no one is selling 7900GT anymore and
yet they still continue to sell FX series cards. Only way some people have
said they fixed this issue was to either overclock or downclock the ram. If
you had an 8800GT etc. you would be experiencing no such issue.

Interesting. The 7900GT has performed well for me, with Doom, Flight
Simulator, and so on, except for this problem.

I'll see what XFX has to say about it. I'll admit I'm sorely tempted to
buy an 8800GT - there's some real bang for the buck!

Mephisto December 29th 07 06:51 AM

Mephisto wrote:
Interesting. The 7900GT has performed well for me, with Doom, Flight
Simulator, and so on, except for this problem.

Yea, it is a decent card except for that issue. That issue is specific to
that series of card. Start an RMA.

David P. Greer January 1st 08 06:46 AM

Scrambled Display Vista nVidia - solved?

Mephisto wrote:
Interesting. The 7900GT has performed well for me, with Doom, Flight
Simulator, and so on, except for this problem.

Yea, it is a decent card except for that issue. That issue is specific to
that series of card. Start an RMA.

I opened a tech support ticket with XFX. Their tech sent a reply,
requesting that I use nTune to increase the memory clock by 10mhz.
According to the tech, if the increased memory clock fixes the problem,
they will provide me with a BIOS patch to make the fix permanent.

I increased the memory clock from 750mhz to 764mhz (nTune would not
select exactly 760mhz.) I allowed the system to go into standby, and
upon resuming, selected a function that triggered the UAC. The screen
performed properly!

I will test it a few more times under different conditions, and if it
works, I will get the BIOS patch from XFX.

How about that? Real decent tech support!