HardwareBanter

-   Storage (alternative) (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   idiot's question on hd failure (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=87183)

Tony October 20th 04 08:01 PM

idiot's question on hd failure

Okay, but just to be sure. My 80 gig WD drive decided not to be
recognized by my Gateway. I pulled it and put it as a slave on my
other computer, whos slave works fine, and no luck.

DOA????

ted msn October 21st 04 10:45 AM

"Tony" wrote in message
om...
Okay, but just to be sure. My 80 gig WD drive decided not to be
recognized by my Gateway. I pulled it and put it as a slave on my
other computer, whos slave works fine, and no luck.

DOA????

Do you mean the Gatway BIOS does not "see" the drive or the OS?
Does the other computer BIOS see the drive?
Is the new drive set as master or slave or cable select
ted

Tony October 21st 04 05:51 PM

"ted msn" wrote in message ...
"Tony" wrote in message
om...
Okay, but just to be sure. My 80 gig WD drive decided not to be
recognized by my Gateway. I pulled it and put it as a slave on my
other computer, whos slave works fine, and no luck.

DOA????

Do you mean the Gatway BIOS does not "see" the drive or the OS?
Does the other computer BIOS see the drive?
Is the new drive set as master or slave or cable select
ted

That is correct. That 1st screen that shows white on a black screen
shows the 2 cdroms but no hard drive.

It is set to master and has worked fine for the last 2 years. Just
happened a couple days ago.

ted msn October 21st 04 07:57 PM

"Tony" wrote in message
om...
"ted msn" wrote in message
"Tony" wrote in message
om...
Okay, but just to be sure. My 80 gig WD drive decided not to be
recognized by my Gateway. I pulled it and put it as a slave on my
other computer, whos slave works fine, and no luck.

DOA????

Do you mean the Gatway BIOS does not "see" the drive or the OS?
Does the other computer BIOS see the drive?
Is the new drive set as master or slave or cable select
ted

That is correct. That 1st screen that shows white on a black screen
shows the 2 cdroms but no hard drive.

It is set to master and has worked fine for the last 2 years. Just
happened a couple days ago.

Ah, got confused with the DOA which I think means "Dead On Arival"
So this was a working disk that now is not?
If so either the cable has gone AWAL or the disk has gone, or both. This
assumes that there has been no other changes.
If a new cable, which your test on the other PC does not look hopeful,
fails, then the next thing is as they say
..
..
..
..
..
you do have a backup?
ted

Tony October 22nd 04 09:53 PM

"ted msn" wrote in message ...
"Tony" wrote in message
om...
"ted msn" wrote in message
"Tony" wrote in message
om...
[...]

.
.
.
.
.
you do have a backup?
ted

No back up. Can you recommend a cheap data recovery service?