HardwareBanter

-   Compaq Computers (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Notebook Presario X1000 (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=58947)

Bolooser11 June 12th 04 04:44 PM

Notebook Presario X1000

Good day,
I want to install Win ME on this machine for a friend of mine
and found, I think, all the drivers I need (inf, sound, video).
The last thing is the 15.4 " WXGA screen which I cannot find any driver
for and which I don't know if it will be supported by ME or not.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bolooser11 June 12th 04 08:15 PM

What I know is that she has a licence for ME that she likes
and wants to install it on this machine.
Might seem strange but I know a few people who like ME
and have it on fairly recent machines...personally I have Win98SE
and do not want anything else.
This notebook came with XP but she does not like it at all (can't blame her
for that) and wants to get rid of it.

HH June 12th 04 08:38 PM

Well, I agree that 98SE is the best of the 9X versions but no 9X version is
even in the same league with XP. Me simply sucks! Very unstable and hopeless
as far as resources are concerned. I hope she enjoys rebooting often. She'll
have to with WinMe.

Bolooser11 June 12th 04 09:26 PM

It's not yet a Big brother world, thank u ?
Just found the drivers I needed for this machine
for Win98/ME.
Never be an XP world for me and so many others,
no way.
Might turn out to be a Linux world.
Hey, that's what IBM is going to deliver his machines with ;-)
Cheers

Tom Scales June 12th 04 11:05 PM

Glad you found them. I'd suggest, though, before you dismiss XP, you just
choose the option to make it 'look' like ME, rather than the new snazzy
interface.

It is SO much more stable.

Tom

HH June 13th 04 03:23 AM

My experiences with WinMe have been just the opposite. Never had so many
lockups and hard freezes in my life. The apps were pretty standard, Office
apps, Photoshop, etc. on all types of hardware. It's primarily a resource
issue with WinMe, which tries to load so much garbage at bootup that low
resource issues are almost guaranteed.
HH