HardwareBanter

-   Overclocking AMD Processors (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   CD Bootable Prime95 Substitute (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=168861)

Ed Light May 24th 08 09:21 PM

CD Bootable Prime95 Substitute

Is there a Prime95 equivalent torture test that comes in an iso to make
a bootable CD?

---
Ed Light

Better World News TV Channel:
http://realnews.com

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org
http://antiwar.com

Iraq Veterans Against the War:
http://ivaw.org
http://couragetoresist.org

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

~misfit~[_3_] May 26th 08 01:20 AM

CD Bootable Prime95 Substitute

Somewhere on teh intarweb "Ed Light" typed:
Is there a Prime95 equivalent torture test that comes in an iso to
make a bootable CD?

Not that I know of Ed but I'd be very interested if you find one. It would
save risking OS corruption when overclocking. If it needs to be able to
write then it could be USB stick based I guess.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

Ed Light May 26th 08 02:57 AM

~misfit~ wrote:
Somewhere on teh intarweb "Ed Light" typed:
Is there a Prime95 equivalent torture test that comes in an iso to
make a bootable CD?

Not that I know of Ed but I'd be very interested if you find one. It would
save risking OS corruption when overclocking. If it needs to be able to
write then it could be USB stick based I guess.

Cheers,

With a partition and boot manager you can make a little system partition
to boot from that can be sacrificed, and restored from an image. I use
bootitng. But I'm planning to overclock someone's pc on a visit out of
town and it would be nice not to have to mess with the partitions.
---

User[_5_] May 26th 08 04:13 AM

Ed Light wrote:
Is there a Prime95 equivalent torture test that comes in an iso to make
a bootable CD?

---
Ed Light

Better World News TV Channel:
http://realnews.com

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org
http://antiwar.com

Iraq Veterans Against the War:
http://ivaw.org
http://couragetoresist.org

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

mcnlive on a usb stick with "stress" or "cpuburn" or "crashme" installed?
http://www.mcnlive.org
If I remember right you could re-author your livecd from the live usb
drive with any program that you installed in your live usb session.
Maybe. I don't know, I can't remember. Anyway mcnlive is amazing on any
pc that I have tried it on.

Boo May 26th 08 12:38 PM

Ed Light wrote:
Is there a Prime95 equivalent torture test that comes in an iso to make
a bootable CD?

I don't know of any pre-existing .iso files to do that job but you could
customise BartPE http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/ or "Ultimate Boot CD for
Windows" http://www.ubcd4win.com/index.htm to have Prime95 included.

Note: the BartPE website seems to be down atm.

Hth,

--
Boo

Ed Light May 27th 08 03:41 AM

CD Bootable Prime95 Substitute

Thanks, guys.

Ultimate Boot CD For Windows has Prime95 on it, so I'm downloading the
package right now.

---

Ed Light May 27th 08 07:10 AM

Ed Light wrote:

Thanks, guys.

Ultimate Boot CD For Windows has Prime95 on it, so I'm downloading the
package right now.

It works. It's a very big, long project to make the CD. It has both
memtest and Prime95. memtest is available when the CD first boots.
---

~misfit~[_3_] May 28th 08 01:50 AM

~misfit~ wrote:
Somewhere on teh intarweb "Ed Light" typed:
Is there a Prime95 equivalent torture test that comes in an iso to
make a bootable CD?

Not that I know of Ed but I'd be very interested if you find one. It
would save risking OS corruption when overclocking. If it needs to
be able to write then it could be USB stick based I guess.

Cheers,

With a partition and boot manager you can make a little system
partition to boot from that can be sacrificed, and restored from an
image. I use bootitng. But I'm planning to overclock someone's pc on
a visit out of town and it would be nice not to have to mess with the
partitions. ---

I basically do the same thing with my own computer. I have a 5 GB partition
for Windows (XP Pro) that I back up regularly (using Acronis True Image) and
always back up before doing any major overclocking. It only takes a minute
or two to back up, a bit longer to restore from backup. This has the dual
advantages of having the backup file fit on a DVD writable and also Windows
doesn't make a big mess scattering files all over a large partition. 5 GB is
quick and easy to defrag.

However, it'd be nice to have a way to do a similar thing on someone else's
computer without having to mess with their partition set up.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

~misfit~[_3_] May 28th 08 01:55 AM

CD Bootable Prime95 Substitute

Somewhere on teh intarweb "User" typed:
Ed Light wrote:
[...]

Thanks. I've bookmarked that for downloading at a time whan my intarweb
connection is behaving. Looks interesting.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

~misfit~[_3_] May 28th 08 01:57 AM

Ed Light wrote:

Thanks, guys.

Ultimate Boot CD For Windows has Prime95 on it, so I'm downloading
the package right now.

It works. It's a very big, long project to make the CD. It has both
memtest and Prime95. memtest is available when the CD first boots.

Thanks for that Ed. I believe that I actually have Ultimate Boot CD burnt
and stashed away somewhere (never used it, LOL). I'll have to dig it out and
have a go.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.