HardwareBanter

-   Storage & Hardrives (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Software To Turn Linux Into Fibre Channel Storage System (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=67105)

Paul Galjan September 3rd 03 11:19 PM

Software To Turn Linux Into Fibre Channel Storage System

Softek, which is owned by
Fujitsu, purchased a license of Datacores SanSymphony code. The Softek
engineer said to me that they had to do a lot of work to stablize
Datacore's code. He then admitted to me that if he was in my shoes that
he would not use this type of virtualization technology for my critical
data due to performance reasons and questionable stability.

Here I go grinding my axe again!!!

Doesn't Softek themselves sell a storage virtualization suite? Yes they do.
And it works quite nicely.

Even so, doesn't this prompt you to take this Datacore bashing with a grain
of salt?

http://www.softek.fujitsu.com/en/pro...irtualization/

--paul (never worked w/datacore...)

Nik Simpson September 4th 03 12:09 AM

Paul Galjan wrote:
Softek, which is owned by
Fujitsu, purchased a license of Datacores SanSymphony code. The
Softek engineer said to me that they had to do a lot of work to
stablize Datacore's code. He then admitted to me that if he was in
my shoes that he would not use this type of virtualization
technology for my critical data due to performance reasons and
questionable stability.

Here I go grinding my axe again!!!

Doesn't Softek themselves sell a storage virtualization suite? Yes
they do. And it works quite nicely.

Not only that, its built from DataCore source ,and bug fixes that they may
have found in early days have long since found their way back into the main
source tree.

--
Nik Simpson