HardwareBanter

-   Compaq Computers (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   512MB - not, in Compaq Presario 7461 (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=59635)

Paul D.Smith February 18th 05 10:46 AM

512MB - not, in Compaq Presario 7461

Added 512MB to this machine. BIOS counts up to 128MB then red COMPAQ logo
on screen goes awry and machine locks up. Any suggestions? Memory seems to
match Compaq specifications (although they're vage on their website!).

Paul DS.

--
Please remove the "x-" if replying to sender.

HH February 18th 05 12:48 PM

It needs to be Single/Low density RAM. For a 256MB DIMM, it will have at
least 8 chips on each side of the DIMM. If you put a high density DIMM in,
only 128MB of it will be detected.
HH

Paul D.Smith February 18th 05 01:13 PM

"HH" wrote in message
et...
It needs to be Single/Low density RAM. For a 256MB DIMM, it will have at
least 8 chips on each side of the DIMM. If you put a high density DIMM in,
only 128MB of it will be detected.
HH

HH,

There are 8 chips on each side of the boards that I have. Should there be
more? Is there some other way to determine low/high density?

Cheers,
Paul DS.