HardwareBanter

-   Compaq Computers (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Compaq R300 (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=171549)

Terry[_3_] August 17th 08 10:26 PM

Compaq R300

Hello:

I'm trying to replace the hard drive in my R3000 however when
installed the computer doesn't recognize it. I've tried 3 different
hard drives and all have the same problem. The one in it now works
but I wanted to upgrade to a bigger hard drive.

Any suggestions?
Terry

John Williamson August 18th 08 07:43 AM

Compaq R300

Terry wrote:
Hello:

I'm trying to replace the hard drive in my R3000 however when
installed the computer doesn't recognize it. I've tried 3 different
hard drives and all have the same problem. The one in it now works
but I wanted to upgrade to a bigger hard drive.

Any suggestions?

Is it finding the drive in POST? If so, just run FDISK from a Windows
install CD.

If not, check the HD you're trying to put in isn't too big, the machine
is almost certainly unable to accept anything over 128 Gb, or possibly
less, depending on the BIOS.

Failing that, put the new drive in an external enclosure & run it off
the USB port.

--
Tciao for Now!

JOhn.