HardwareBanter

-   Printers (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Join the class-action suit against HP (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=81004)

Mike March 4th 05 03:06 AM

Join the class-action suit against HP

Technology - Reuters
Reuters
Lawsuit Says HP Printer Cartridges Die Before Use

Tue Feb 22, 3:19 PM ET

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - A Georgia woman has sued Hewlett-Packard Co.
(NYSE:HPQ - news), claiming the ink cartridges for their printers are
secretly programed to expire on a certain date, in some cases
rendering them useless before they are even installed in a printer.

The suit filed in Santa Clara Superior Court in northern California
last Thursday seeks to represent anyone in the United States who
purchased an HP inkjet printer since Feb. 2001. HP is the world's No.
1 computer printer maker.

An HP spokesman said the company does not comment on pending
litigation.

HP ink cartridges use a chip technology to sense when they are low on
ink and advise the user to make a change. But the suit claims those
chips also shut down the cartridges at a predetermined date regardless
of whether they are empty.

"The smart chip is dually engineered to prematurely register ink
depletion and to render a cartridge unusable through the use of a
built-in expiration date that is not revealed to the consumer," the
suit said.

The suit, which seeks class-action status, asks for restitution,
damages and other compensation.

I have an HP Business Inkjet 1100 D. Do I apply because HP 10 and 11
ink cartridges uses the smart chip?

Mike C