HardwareBanter

-   Homebuilt PC's (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   how many tape drives had SATA interface?? (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=199195)

[email protected] September 22nd 18 11:49 AM

how many tape drives had SATA interface??

I bought an internal DLT drive at a computer swap meet, thinking it was
SAS interface. When I got it home, I found it was actually SATA.
Quantum made them with SCSI, SATA or even USB.
Nowadays you see tape drives with fibre channel (copper) even though the
drives are mostly too slow to need that bandwidth.
I found it wouldn't work on an Intel server board SATA sockets, I had to
plug in a simple PCIE SATA adapter card. Anyway, works out cheaper than
an SAS adapter and those stupid mini-SAS cables that fan out to 4 plugs.

Paul[_28_] September 22nd 18 12:26 PM

wrote:
I bought an internal DLT drive at a computer swap meet, thinking it was
SAS interface. When I got it home, I found it was actually SATA.
Quantum made them with SCSI, SATA or even USB.
Nowadays you see tape drives with fibre channel (copper) even though the
drives are mostly too slow to need that bandwidth.
I found it wouldn't work on an Intel server board SATA sockets, I had to
plug in a simple PCIE SATA adapter card. Anyway, works out cheaper than
an SAS adapter and those stupid mini-SAS cables that fan out to 4 plugs.

There are some tape drives here that go at a decent speed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_Tape-Open

The speeds there are high enough, choosing an interface
isn't as easy as it used to be.

Paul