HardwareBanter

-   Printers (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   print to file - without altering the original file (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=151814)

[email protected] June 5th 07 03:02 PM

print to file - without altering the original file

Hi,

I am trying to create a "print to file" printer that would simply
redirect a file to a folder. The issue I'm having is that say I print
a PDF file, the "print to file" driver alters that PDF file to a PCL
or PS file... I believe I would need a generic printer model that
would support more than just ASCII text. Any idea how to handle
this? Thanks.

TL

thoss June 5th 07 04:42 PM

On Tue, 5 Jun 2007 wrote:

Hi,

I am trying to create a "print to file" printer that would simply
redirect a file to a folder. The issue I'm having is that say I print
a PDF file, the "print to file" driver alters that PDF file to a PCL
or PS file... I believe I would need a generic printer model that
would support more than just ASCII text. Any idea how to handle
this? Thanks.

You could try write-protecting the PDF file. If this doesn't work, copy
the PDF file to, say, PRINT.PDF, print this, then delete PRINT.*. You
could put this in a batch file so that it needs just one mouse click.
--
Thoss

Otto Sykora June 5th 07 04:47 PM

print to file - without altering the original file

BUt if you print to the pdf printer, this one does automaticaly the
creation of a file and directs it to a folder, on the other hand it
does indeed use postscript for the conversion, therefore AFAIK some
kind of postscript needs to be present in the system in order to make
it all work.
I would rather check if there is a way in your pdf creator programm to
set the defoult foulder somehow.

lemel_man June 5th 07 06:55 PM

wrote:
Hi,

I am trying to create a "print to file" printer that would simply
redirect a file to a folder. The issue I'm having is that say I print
a PDF file, the "print to file" driver alters that PDF file to a PCL
or PS file... I believe I would need a generic printer model that
would support more than just ASCII text. Any idea how to handle
this? Thanks.

TL

I don't really understand your problem. The printer driver I have with
my HP printer has a "Print to file" option which, when ticked, directs
the output to a file in a folder.
I also have a PDF writer that is implemented as a printer driver. If I
use it, it creates a PDF with a name of my choice, in a folder of my
choice. I can view and print the PDF with Acrobat Reader.
What am I missing?

--
Regards, Gary Wooding