HardwareBanter

-   Compaq Computers (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Compaq FAQ (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=57728)

HH June 24th 03 04:55 PM

Compaq FAQ

Helpful Links:

For drivers, software, manuals/docs
http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/
For Compaq spare parts
http://sparesstore.compaq.com/sparesstore/default.asp?
For the Presario Customer Communities (Forums)
http://communities.compaq.com/servle...=121&RPAGEID=0

Q) How do I enter the BIOS on my Presario?
A) Normally, hitting F10 at the Compaq logo (cursor to upper right corner)
at bootup. If this does not work, it means you have an earlier model, 1996
or earlier, that retains Setup info on a small non-DOS partition at the
front of the hard drive, not in ROM, and this partition is damaged or
missing. Most Commercial desktops/notebooks (DeskPros, Prolineas,
Armadas/Elites, etc.) also have this partition. If this is the case, go
he

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/

Select your model desktop or notebook and download the Softpaq for Computer
Setup. Run this SoftPaq and it will create a boot floppy from which you can
enter the BIOS. You might want to download the Personal Computer Diagnostics
SoftPaq as well.

Q) Can I disable the onboard video/audio on my Presario and install
different ones.
A) Yes. As for video, installing the new card normally will disable the
onboard video. Sometimes, you may have to reset your video to Standard VGA
in Device Manager in Windows first, then shut down and install the PCI video
card. On Presarios with an AGP slot, this is not necessary.
The onboard audio is disabled in Windows device manager, then shut down and
install the PCI audio card, reboot and install the drivers.

Q) How do I get QuickRestore Discs for my Presario?
A) In the U.S., call 800-841-2761. Have your model number or serial number
(it's usually on a white barcode sticker on the back or side of the PC).The
cost is $10 for the discs.
Outside the U.S., contact Compaq support in your region for more info.

Q) How can I reinstall my audio (or video, modem, etc.) driver or specific
software without doing a full restore?
A) Most newer model Presarios have a Selective Restore Option. Double click
on the Compaq Support desktop icon, or select it from the menu. Select
QuickRestore, then Selective Restore. you can then select which driver(s) or
software you wish to reinstall.
NOTE: If you have upgraded the operating system or if the Compressed Compaq
folders (CPQDRV, etc.) on the System Save partition have been deleted, or if
the Presario model is an older one without Selective Restore, the above may
not apply. In this case, check the website link above to see if the driver
is there for your model and OS. For software, go into the icons directory on
the QuickRestore CD and and open each image. Once you find the image for the
software you wish to reinstall, then the file name is the directory name of
the software install directory.

That said, some of the programs are not separately installable.

Q) I've installed a new hard disk (or CD-ROM/DVD drive) in my
Presario/DeskPro etc., and it is not recognized. Why?
A) Compaqs come with Cable Select IDE cables. Any drive attached to them
must be jumpered CS for Cable Select. You will also have to partition (using
FDISK) and format the drive before it will be recognized.

Q) I've installed a new 80 GB hard drive in my older Presario, but only 8
GB is recognized. Where is the other 72GB?
A) Unfortunately, many older Presarios ( Pre-1996) have an 8GB hard drive
size limit in BIOS. There are no BIOS upgrades from Compaq to raise this
limit, however, there are two ways to overcome the limit:
1. The best way is to install a PCI IDE controller card with its own BIOS.
These cards are not expensive, less than $50, and also allow full ATA100/133
transfers as well. Promise and SIIG both offer these cards.
2. the other way is to install BIOS overlay software, available from the
hard drive manufacturer's website. This method will slow down drive
operation however.

Q) Can I put a different motherboard in my Presario?
A) Yes, but not really. The problems would be many, including:
1. Physical layout. Finding one with the same Input/output connector layout
at the back would be very difficult.
2. Onboard connectors. The front panel wires for the onn/off switch and hard
disk/power LEDs go to a single connector designed to fit the pins on the
current board. So, unless you feel comfortable cracking connectors or
re-splicing wires, don't try it.
3. Power Supply connectors on earlier models may be proprietary.
So, generally speaking for most users, the board is NOT easily upgradeable.

Q) How do I prevent getting Blue Screens or freezeups while using the Compaq
DVD player?
A) Look for a file named SCSI1HLP.VXD(or SCSIHLP.VXD) in the
Windows\system\iosubsys directory. If there, rename it toSCSI1HLP.OLD, then
reboot.

Q) Is there a different or later BIOS for my Compaq that allows more
adjustments?
A) The only BIOS updates that are safe for your Compaq are those listed for
your specific model on the Compaq/HP website. Occasionally, a BIOS update
from Compaq will provide new settings, but not as a general rule. Installing
any other is risky and may render your Compaq unbootable.

Q) Is my Compaq Compatible with Windows XP?
A) There is a compatibility app on the MS site. It attempts to examine all
installed hardware and software and to let you know if you might have a
problem. It's fairly conservative and may warn about things that might later
prove to be trouble-free.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/p...ng/advisor.asp

Also check to see if the Compaq website has XP drivers posted for your
model.

Ugly July 8th 03 05:04 AM

On Mon, 19 May 2003 21:37:01 GMT, HH babbled on about Compaq FAQ proclaiming:

Q) How do I enter the BIOS on my Presario?
A) Normally, hitting F10 at the Compaq logo (cursor to upper right corner)
at bootup. If this does not work, it means you have an earlier model, 1996
or earlier, that retains Setup info on a small non-DOS partition at the
front of the hard drive, not in ROM, and this partition is damaged or
missing. Most Commercial desktops/notebooks (DeskPros, Prolineas,
Armadas/Elites, etc.) also have this partition. If this is the case, go
he

Thanks for reminding me. Now that my hard drive is in the "new" computer instead of the
dead Compaq, I should install Partition Magic and delete the Compaq "BIOS" partition.
What is it? 6 megs? Whatever. But it's still taking up space.

Ugly July 8th 03 05:11 AM

On 03 May 2003 05:07:51 GMT, DEJ57 babbled on about Compaq FAQ proclaiming:

Unfortunately, many older Presarios ( Pre-1996) have an 8GB hard drive
size limit in BIOS.

The 4112 I bought in mid-1996 had the limit. Might want to change that to
"(Pre-1997)...not trying to be picky, just a little more precise perhaps...

So THAT'S why the 80 gig hard drive I bought only showed me 8 gigs. I wanted a 90%
discount from the store claiming they ****ed me around for a lemon of a hard drive
(Western Digital). I should have known it was Compaq's doing. My ****ario was a mid-1996
model even though I bought it in mid-1997.

As a result I returned it to the store and ended up stuck with this old Bigfoot CY bugger
of a hard drive that came with the Compaq.

DEJ57 July 8th 03 05:14 AM

I should install Partition Magic and delete the Compaq "BIOS" partition.
What is it? 6 megs? Whatever. But it's still taking up space.

Yes

Dale