HardwareBanter

-   Ati Videocards (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   3Dmark05 & Radeon 9800 Pro: DirectX Problem (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=47441)

nSurfer Tom October 1st 04 07:46 AM

3Dmark05 & Radeon 9800 Pro: DirectX Problem

I installed DirectX9.0b few months ago then had Omega Radeon driver
installed (2kXP OMEGA DRIVERS 2.5.67 8-22-04) several weeks ago.

Recently I downloaded 3Dmark05, and this little pop-up windows says:
Direct3DCreate failed.

Uninstalled that and installed Cataylst 4.9. Reinstalled 3dmark05. Same
thing. Tried to fix this by installing DirectX 9.0c (using dxwebsetup). No
go. (pulls hair) I uninstalled 3Dmark05. Now got to reinstall DirectX 9.0c
SDK then install 3dmark05 once again.

Still that darned "Direct3DCreate9 failed." window popup!!

This on a ASUS P4P800-VM
1gb dual ddr
Radeon 9800PRO 128mb
Maxtor 30gb & 120gb
LiteON DVD writer
running on WinXP (no service packs)

Andrew October 1st 04 07:50 AM

On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 06:46:11 GMT, "nSurfer Tom"
wrote:

Recently I downloaded 3Dmark05, and this little pop-up windows says:
Direct3DCreate failed.

Do your games work fine? If it is just 3DMark05 that doesn't work, I
wouldn't worry too much, it will only depress you seeing your 9800Pro
reduced to single digit framerates.

Wayne Youngman October 1st 04 11:46 AM

"nSurfer Tom"wrote
Still that darned "Direct3DCreate9 failed." window popup!!

Works ok here, I had the same thing as you but after i D/L the *full* DX9c
package and installed it works (I also have sp/2).
--
Wayne ][

nSurfer Tom October 1st 04 01:42 PM

Do your games work fine? If it is just 3DMark05 that doesn't work, I
wouldn't worry too much, it will only depress you seeing your 9800Pro
reduced to single digit framerates.

Yes, other games works. 3Dmark03 pops up like it did before with no
problems.
Just this sick 3Dmark05's silly tiny window pop-up. I don't care about
scores,
just all I wanted was to see how pretty it is after seeing those marvelous
screenshots.

Shawk October 1st 04 06:17 PM

"nSurfer Tom" wrote in message

Do your games work fine? If it is just 3DMark05 that doesn't work, I
wouldn't worry too much, it will only depress you seeing your 9800Pro
reduced to single digit framerates.

Yes, other games works. 3Dmark03 pops up like it did before with no
problems.
Just this sick 3Dmark05's silly tiny window pop-up. I don't care about
scores,
just all I wanted was to see how pretty it is after seeing those marvelous
screenshots.

On my 9800Pro it still looks like screenshots :-(

Wayne Youngman October 2nd 04 05:33 AM

"Shawk" wrote
On my 9800Pro it still looks like screenshots :-(

Lol!
Don't be such a drama queen :P it looks ok on my system and I have a humble
Sapphire 9800 (440/390 though!). It's certainly not smooth though, but good
enough to get a feel for things!. In the return to proxycon when that dude
with the rail gun lets off! looks like a proper film!. . . I can't believe
how good the 3D is these days.

There is allot of guys running whizz-bang A64/6800Ultras/X800XT who are
still getting choppy results! and they are not happy!

Call of Duty plays like silk though, and even Doom3 plays well on my 9800. .
..

Next stop, a 512Mb video card for me, maybe 6 months time?
--
Wayne ][

Shawk October 2nd 04 03:37 PM

"Wayne Youngman" wrote in message

"Shawk" wrote
On my 9800Pro it still looks like screenshots :-(

Lol!
Don't be such a drama queen :P it looks ok on my system and I have a
humble Sapphire 9800 (440/390 though!). It's certainly not smooth though,
but good enough to get a feel for things!. In the return to proxycon when
that dude with the rail gun lets off! looks like a proper film!. . . I
can't believe how good the 3D is these days.

There is allot of guys running whizz-bang A64/6800Ultras/X800XT who are
still getting choppy results! and they are not happy!

Call of Duty plays like silk though, and even Doom3 plays well on my 9800.
. .

Next stop, a 512Mb video card for me, maybe 6 months time?
--
Wayne ][

Yeah, I want that gun!! Dont care what the game is but someone PLEASE do a
mod so I can use it. :-)

nSurfer Tom October 3rd 04 01:54 PM

I found the solution- I used DirectX Eradicator 1.09 Beta 2 to uninstall
DX9, it asked for
original WinXP CD to replace it with DX8.1, then rebooted fine. Then I
installed DX9c.
Now I can run 3Dmark05! Wow! Beautiful to view but choked my P4 3ghz &
Radeon 9800Pro
to a near slideshow in some places! If you wanna know the score, it's
2,342.

Get he
http://files1.majorgeeks.com/files/7...7705c/drivers/
dxe109b2.zip