HardwareBanter

-   Intel (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Hey, ZOD, what do you think of this? (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=88695)

bill davidsen June 24th 03 08:34 PM

Hey, ZOD, what do you think of this?

In article ,
stevensly wrote:

| Here's the price list:
|
| 3.0/800 $639.99
| 2.8/800 $464.99
| 2.4/800 $294.99
|
| Pretty scary, eh? I'll do another cpu upgrade in October when intel makes
| their next
| price cut.

Of course you can buy a 2.4/512k Xeon for $270US, only a 533FSB but you
could have two... Clearly depends on your o/s, the affordable versions
of Windows only go to two CPU, Linux does as many as you want, with HT
enabled.

As for an upgrade later, the equasion is:
2.4now + 3.0 then - 2.4resale = 3.0 now + fun_now - resale_hassle

Even if you can sell the 2.4, the price of that will be lower, you have
the hassle of doing the sale, and you don't have the 25% faster CPU now.
You might even want to just o/c the 2.4 and forget the 3.0.

--
Bill Davidsen CTO, TMR Associates
this we should do freely and generously.