HardwareBanter

-   Compaq Computers (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   power supply problem - Presario 5838 (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=58716)

justme February 28th 04 08:10 PM

power supply problem - Presario 5838

Hi,
When playing a game on our computer yesterday, my husband sneezed violently
(don't laugh, he's very loud and literally ground-shaking) and the whole
system powered off like a switch had been flipped.

I can't turn the system back on. I tried a new power cord, plugged into a
different power bar that was plugged into a different (functioning) outlet.
Nothing happens. There are no lights on the system and it makes no sound. I
opened the case and made sure everything was snug and in place. I cleaned
any dust I saw with a vacuum. I tried turning the power on while observing
the PS fan, no movement at all.

Is there any way to test the Power Supply? There's a part number
(152769-001) and a Model number (HP-Q250GF3) on a label on the PS. Is there
a specific PS I have to use as a replacement? Any help is much appreciated.
Thank you.

Regards,

Karen

Kev February 29th 04 01:52 AM

Is there any way to test the Power Supply?

if the fan don't come on it's probably dead.

any atx ps should do the trick. $25 hit probably