HardwareBanter

-   AMD Thunderbird Processors (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   ATHLON 2800XP (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=132349)

7legend December 30th 03 07:44 AM

ATHLON 2800XP

i have an athlon 2800xp on a jetwayv400ADBL. sysytem info shows it as an
2800xp running at 2087mhz. is this running speed correct? cheers for any
advice/help

Arthur Buse January 3rd 04 07:00 PM

ATHLON 2800XP

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 07:44:30 -0000, "7legend"
wrote:

i have an athlon 2800xp on a jetwayv400ADBL. sysytem info shows it as an
2800xp running at 2087mhz. is this running speed correct? cheers for any
advice/help

That sounds about right. My BIOS wants to run my 2800xp at
166 * 12.5 = 2079 MHz. Shame my power supply can't oblige...

--
Arthur.

Peter Garbarino January 11th 04 11:07 AM

ATHLON 2800XP

i have an athlon 2800xp on a jetwayv400ADBL. sysytem info shows it as an
2800xp running at 2087mhz. is this running speed correct? cheers for any

The Athlon XP 2800+ is supposed to be clocked at 2.08GHz (AKA 166 x
12.5). If you don't know why it's not 2.8GHz as you may have thought it
would be, here is why.

AMD names their XP line of processors according to how they pair up
against the Pentium 4 line. For instance, a Pentium 4 2.4GHz processor
would have the AMD equivalent of Athlon XP 2400+ (clocked at an actual
2GHz ie 133 x 15 I think it is), and the Pentium 4 3.0GHz would be
paired with an Athlon XP 3000+ (2.47GHz using 190 x 13). Hope that helps.

--
Athlon XP 2500+ OC to 2800+
ASUS A7N8X Deluxe

J. Clarke January 11th 04 04:55 PM

ATHLON 2800XP

Peter Garbarino wrote:

i have an athlon 2800xp on a jetwayv400ADBL. sysytem info shows it as an
2800xp running at 2087mhz. is this running speed correct? cheers for any

The Athlon XP 2800+ is supposed to be clocked at 2.08GHz (AKA 166 x
12.5). If you don't know why it's not 2.8GHz as you may have thought it
would be, here is why.

AMD names their XP line of processors according to how they pair up
against the Pentium 4 line. For instance, a Pentium 4 2.4GHz processor
would have the AMD equivalent of Athlon XP 2400+ (clocked at an actual
2GHz ie 133 x 15 I think it is), and the Pentium 4 3.0GHz would be
paired with an Athlon XP 3000+ (2.47GHz using 190 x 13). Hope that helps.

The naming is actually based on how they perform when compared to their
Thunderbird processors--they went to the new rating system because their
newer processors were giving equivalent performance at lower clock
speeds and they wanted the names to reflect this--otherwise people would
buy Tbird 1400s vs 1300s in the newer series that were actually faster.

It worked out that for a while this rating was roughly comparable to the
clock speed of a P4 with comparable performance and eventually I believe
AMD marketing started suggesting that it was related to the P4
performance, but I don't know if that is how the rating is derived.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)