HardwareBanter

-   Homebuilt PC's (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   nvidia mainboard swap (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=20901)

JAD August 20th 04 04:17 AM

after the install of the MB boot with XP CD and do a repair install
from the console

"maurice" wrote in
message u...
I have have to replace a nvidia chipset mainboard a gigabyte

ga7n400, with
another mainboard but really dont want to have to do a reinstall of

XP.
Ideally Id replace with the same model but its a very tight budget

(and a
very long story!) so I was looking at using another Gigabyte nforce

chipset
board either the ga7n400L or a new model ga7nf-rz which I can find

no info
on beyond it uses mcp and spp.

I know the sound will be different(the pro uses the nvidia

soundstorm chip)
but hopefully this wont be a terminal
problem, its differences in the different flavors of the nforce

chipset I'm
most concerned about. I was hoping that the core logic for ide

drives etc
would be close enough not to cause a problem but if the past history

of this
job has any bearing then I'm screwed!

any thoughts on these issues much appreciated

cheers

Maurice

DaveW August 21st 04 12:16 AM

Unless you replace the motherboard with the EXACT SAME MOTHERBOARD,
including version, etc., you'll be hosed if you don not reformat the
harddrive and do a CLEAN install of the OS.

--
DaveW

David Maynard August 21st 04 02:11 AM

DaveW wrote:

Unless you replace the motherboard with the EXACT SAME MOTHERBOARD,
including version, etc., you'll be hosed if you don not reformat the
harddrive and do a CLEAN install of the OS.

I do upgrade/repair swaps of comPLETEly different motherboards all the time
with no problems whatsoever.

MC August 21st 04 05:58 PM

"maurice" wrote in message
u...
Ok, two very different opinions here,

JAD "1. after the install of the MB boot with XP CD and do a repair
install
from the console"

DaveW "2. Unless you replace the motherboard with the EXACT SAME
MOTHERBOARD,
including version, etc., you'll be hosed if you don not reformat the
harddrive and do a CLEAN install of the OS"

Dave, have you had first hand experience with swapping identical chipset
boards and having to reformat. Do you have reason to believe the repair
console wont work?

I normally would reformat but the client has had some custom software
installed which will need to be reconfigured by the vendor if I have to
reinstall the OS.

Anybody else had good or bad luck with either of these scenarios?

I had to do much the same recently when an Asus A7N8X stopped working on a
Saturday evening - I had an Abit NF7 available, so swapped the components
over and rebooted, started Windows (XP Home) in Safe Mode, went to Device
Manager, removed everything it would allow, ignoring the requests to reboot
until I'd finished, then rebooted properly and allowed Windows to re-detect
all it needed. I don't recall it asking for the installation disk, it just
sorted itself out and has been fine since (about 3/4 weeks). I did have to
re-activate Windows due to the hardware changes but that wasn't a problem.

HTH
Martin

spodosaurus August 21st 04 07:35 PM

maurice wrote:
Ok, two very different opinions here,

JAD "1. after the install of the MB boot with XP CD and do a repair
install
from the console"

You dont want to go into the console. Just put the hardware together,
and boot from the XP cdrom. Keep going through the stages as if you were
going to do a new install. Eventually you'll be asked if you want to
reinstall or repair (not the same as console), and this is what you
want. If you miss it, do NOT format anything :-)

DaveW "2. Unless you replace the motherboard with the EXACT SAME
MOTHERBOARD,
including version, etc., you'll be hosed if you don not reformat the
harddrive and do a CLEAN install of the OS"

Dave is talking out of his arse, this is not the only way.

Dave, have you had first hand experience with swapping identical chipset
boards and having to reformat. Do you have reason to believe the repair
console wont work?

I normally would reformat but the client has had some custom software
installed which will need to be reconfigured by the vendor if I have to
reinstall the OS.

Anybody else had good or bad luck with either of these scenarios?

I've done both, both work.

thanks

.au...

JAD August 21st 04 08:30 PM

the 'proper' way is to use the console.......not to say that what you
do doesn't work. Question: after doing the install your way, have you
looked over the boot log? is it without 'failed to load' lines,
curious is all.

David Maynard August 22nd 04 12:19 AM

JAD wrote:

the 'proper' way is to use the console.......

Using 'the console' is the 'proper' way to do WHAT?

maurice wrote:

[...]

om.au...

Shepİ August 22nd 04 01:00 AM

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 12:30:31 -0700 To confuse Arrogance with
Confidence is as stupid as to confuse Ambition with Ability and then
"JAD" wrote :

the 'proper' way is to use the console.......not to say that what you
do doesn't work. Question: after doing the install your way, have you
looked over the boot log? is it without 'failed to load' lines,
curious is all.

Read here Jad,
The console sucks.

--