HardwareBanter

-   Overclocking AMD Processors (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   "ntoskrnl.exe error" message on overclocking? (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=13224)

Ben January 1st 04 08:56 PM

"ntoskrnl.exe error" message on overclocking?

Hi,

I recently bought 2500 Barton which I've popped into an Abit NF7-S,
when I increase the FSB to 200 however (with all other settings at
stock) I get a message on boot that "ntoskrnl.exe missing or corrupt"
and XP fails to boot up....When I set it back to 2500 it boots up
fine...

I did manage to get it to boot last night after increasing the voltage
to 1.75 but it still seemed unstable (crashed when running 3D-Mark
2003)....

Does anyone know what this error message indicates?

TIA

(Using the following:
2500+
NF7-S v2
512mb Twinmos 3200
Geforce 4400ti)

Roger M January 1st 04 09:51 PM

Ben wrote:

Hi,

I recently bought 2500 Barton which I've popped into an Abit NF7-S,
when I increase the FSB to 200 however (with all other settings at
stock) I get a message on boot that "ntoskrnl.exe missing or corrupt"
and XP fails to boot up....When I set it back to 2500 it boots up
fine...

I did manage to get it to boot last night after increasing the voltage
to 1.75 but it still seemed unstable (crashed when running 3D-Mark
2003)....

Does anyone know what this error message indicates?

TIA

(Using the following:
2500+
NF7-S v2
512mb Twinmos 3200
Geforce 4400ti)

You need to throw some more juice to it, it'll be ok. I have to run my
8RDA+ at 1.8V to get prime 95 to run without errors. With a little more
volts I can run the fsb up to 212.

Roger

V January 1st 04 11:40 PM

"Ben" schreef in bericht
om...
Hi,

I recently bought 2500 Barton which I've popped into an Abit NF7-S,
when I increase the FSB to 200 however (with all other settings at
stock) I get a message on boot that "ntoskrnl.exe missing or corrupt"
and XP fails to boot up....When I set it back to 2500 it boots up
fine...

I did manage to get it to boot last night after increasing the voltage
to 1.75 but it still seemed unstable (crashed when running 3D-Mark
2003)....

Does anyone know what this error message indicates?

Nothing, really. Unstable overclocked processor cause all sorts of
miscellaneous error messages and crashes. It just means that your processor
won't work at this clock frequency at this voltage. You may want to try
increase the voltage even more (and shorten the life of your processor,
sometimes extremely).

Jon Back January 26th 04 12:36 AM

Could be RAM, could be PCI, but definitely related to that 200 FSB. The 3200
RAM should be good unless you've tweaked the latency settings.
Sounds just like a question I read earlier on the Anandtech OC forum.

As it said there, not all 2500 Bartons make it to 200 FSB.

JonB