HardwareBanter

-   Compaq Computers (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Mail sent at each startup and constant disk access? (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=58930)

Dennis Kessler June 5th 04 11:34 AM

"HH" wrote:

Right click on any CD-ROM drives in Device Manager and select Properties,
then the Advanced tab.
HH

Oh! ;)

BTW: the mail stoppped. Not sure which change did that. Now just to run
down the disk access. I'll try the CD tab, but I doubt that that's
accounting for the excessive dick access.

Thanks.

-DK

"Dennis Kessler" wrote in message
"HH" wrote:

If so, disabling Auto-Insert Notification in Device Manager
should fix it. HH

I don't see "Auto-Insert Notification in Device Manager" in the device
manager in the pc that I am sitting next to (not the one with the
problem). Is it on every Windows 98 machine?

-Dennis

"doS" wrote in
message

The disk activity may be your cd roms ...Windows checks the
cdrom status regularly...

"Dennis Kessler" wrote in message
How can I stop the mail and constant hard drive activity?

Everytime the Presario 5170, running Windows 98 is booted up, the
computer tries to send an email. I can see this activity on
my router's log file. No mail programs are running. Nothing
is queued to be sent.

This began yesterday, (I think, after fiddling with the
internet keyboard buttons). Prior to yesterday, I had the
startup configuration in msconfig, set to not load the
Compaq startup software that controls the keyboard buttons.

Also, I see the hard drive light showing regular activity
every several seconds, no matter how long the computer is
idle.

The disk activity is not the fast find program. I have that
set to stop.

-Dennis

--
Dennis Kessler
http://denniskessler.com/acupuncture

gmccx June 5th 04 02:38 PM

Do a Google for diskaction which is a small bit of s'ware that tries to
log HD accesses and will usually tell you what software caused it.

I ran it a while as a test, and it doesn't ID everything but it might be
worth a try.

"HH" wrote:

[...]

George

http://people.delphiforums.com/gmcc

Kevin Childers June 5th 04 05:09 PM

Could be some form of spyware too.

KC

"Dennis Kessler" wrote in message
"doS" wrote:

Geez..prolly a virus....

I think not. I think it has to do with me enabling the keyboard 'easy
access buttons.' ...Much of the Compaq software was unchecked in the
msconfig startup tab. I check 'em to enabled the Compaq stuff, and it
seems like that is when the mail and the disk access problem began.

Also, I checked the computer with the lastest AVG anti-virus software.

Thanks.

-Dennis

Dennis Kessler June 8th 04 07:22 AM

gmccx wrote:

Do a Google for diskaction which is a small bit of s'ware that tries to
log HD accesses and will usually tell you what software caused it.

sounds good, but I was able to find it only at pcmag. You must be a paid
member to download it. The computer that I am trying to fix is not mine,
so I'm not going to pay the fee.

-DK

Dennis Kessler June 8th 04 07:27 AM

"HH" wrote:
With AIN active, the HD LED will flicker about once per second.
HH

It's not that. I did disable it.

The flicker is about every 4 seconds.

-DK

Dennis Kessler June 8th 04 07:29 AM

"Kevin Childers" wrote:

Could be some form of spyware too.

KC

I've run SpyBot and adAware. No joy.

-DK

HH June 8th 04 11:18 AM

Every 4 seconds?? Hmmm. Might try this:
1. Hit start, Run and type "msconfig" (without quotes) and hit OK.
2.Select the Startup tab.
3. Uncheck everything except Explorer and Systray.
Exit msconfig and reboot.
See if the LED still flickers. If not, go back to msconfig and recheck the
boxes, one at a time, rebooting after each. This will tell you what is
querrying the HD.
HH

"HH" wrote:

If so, disabling Auto-Insert Notification in Device Manager
should fix it. HH

I don't see "Auto-Insert Notification in Device Manager" in the

device
manager in the pc that I am sitting next to (not the one with the
problem). Is it on every Windows 98 machine?

-Dennis

"doS" wrote in
The disk activity may be your cd roms ...Windows checks the
cdrom status regularly...

"Dennis Kessler" wrote in

message

Dennis Kessler June 8th 04 11:52 AM

"HH" wrote:

Every 4 seconds?? Hmmm. Might try this:
1. Hit start, Run and type "msconfig" (without quotes) and hit OK.
2.Select the Startup tab.
3. Uncheck everything except Explorer and Systray.
Exit msconfig and reboot.
See if the LED still flickers. If not, go back to msconfig and recheck the
boxes, one at a time, rebooting after each. This will tell you what is
querrying the HD.
HH

I've done that.

BTW: I did put a D-Link wirless PCI card in the machine. I wonder if
that's causing the disk access. I don't really see how to turned it off,
without completely removing either the hardware or the drivers.

I don't see the router's access point statistics change relative to the
sick access, so it's probably not the wireless card.

-Dennis

HH June 8th 04 03:35 PM

Only one way to know for sure. Remove the card. That was going to be the
next possibility I raised - network accessing the drive. If it's just
querrying the hardware, it's probably doing no harm.
HH