HardwareBanter

-   Storage (alternative) (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   how long did the "4 TB plateau" last? (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=197261)

[email protected] March 8th 17 09:42 AM

how long did the "4 TB plateau" last?

It seems to me that it was about 2 and half years from when the first 4 TB
drive was released, until we got Helium, extra platters, shingles and so on.

[email protected] March 8th 17 01:50 PM

On Wed, 8 Mar 2017 01:42:30 -0800 (PST), wrote:

It seems to me that it was about 2 and half years from when the first 4 TB
drive was released, until we got Helium, extra platters, shingles and so on.

My first two HGST drives are going on 4 yrs old (1454 days running
thus far), and I did not buy early in cycle. My Seagate external
backup drive is about the same age.

Lynn McGuire[_3_] March 9th 17 03:26 AM

On 3/8/2017 3:42 AM, wrote:
It seems to me that it was about 2 and half years from when the first 4 TB
drive was released, until we got Helium, extra platters, shingles and so on.

The 6 TB drives are not helium and they have been available for several years. I own about 4 or 5 externals.

Lynn