HardwareBanter

-   Homebuilt PC's (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Can low level format but not High Level (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=18428)

Chukyo December 29th 03 08:27 PM

Can low level format but not High Level

I recently bought a used Fujitsu HDD. I was unable to high level format it.
So, I thought I'd try the erase utility from Fujitsu, an it worked fine.
When I try to format in DOS it formats a little then states Trying to
recover allocation unit. When I try the Win98SE setup format it just stays
stuck at 47 or 48 % done.
Has this happened to anyone here before ?
Thought I'd try a post here before I exchange it for another drive from
where I got it from.

philo December 29th 03 09:00 PM

"Chukyo" wrote in message
. cable.rogers.com...
I recently bought a used Fujitsu HDD. I was unable to high level format

it.
So, I thought I'd try the erase utility from Fujitsu, an it worked fine.
When I try to format in DOS it formats a little then states Trying to
recover allocation unit. When I try the Win98SE setup format it just stays
stuck at 47 or 48 % done.
Has this happened to anyone here before ?
Thought I'd try a post here before I exchange it for another drive from
where I got it from.

Not worth taking a chance...even if you could recover it...
exchange it at once!

Gene Puhl December 30th 03 10:53 AM

"Chukyo" astounded us with: news:D60Ib.158590
:

I recently bought a used Fujitsu HDD. I was unable to high level format it.
So, I thought I'd try the erase utility from Fujitsu, an it worked fine.
When I try to format in DOS it formats a little then states Trying to
recover allocation unit. When I try the Win98SE setup format it just stays
stuck at 47 or 48 % done.
Has this happened to anyone here before ?
Thought I'd try a post here before I exchange it for another drive from
where I got it from.

It's on it's last legs, do you want to entrust your data to it??

--
Gene P

Gary Tait December 30th 03 04:33 PM

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 20:27:15 GMT, "Chukyo"
wrote:

I recently bought a used Fujitsu HDD. I was unable to high level format it.
So, I thought I'd try the erase utility from Fujitsu, an it worked fine.
When I try to format in DOS it formats a little then states Trying to
recover allocation unit. When I try the Win98SE setup format it just stays
stuck at 47 or 48 % done.
Has this happened to anyone here before ?

Yes, on bad HDDs. I partition around the error, and not use the HDD
for critical data (or back up to a reliable disk).

Thought I'd try a post here before I exchange it for another drive from
where I got it from.

If you have that opportunity, take it.

Chukyo December 31st 03 10:55 PM

Thanks for all your replys, I got a new HDD and it's fine
. cable.rogers.com...