HardwareBanter

-   General Hardware (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Ominous Ticking from Monitor (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=182806)

I.C. Koets[_2_] January 29th 10 02:37 AM

Ominous Ticking from Monitor

My monitor (a DEC 21" CRT, older than dirt) has started to give sharp,
static-discharge type audible ticks, which are accompanied by short
distortions of picture and dimming. The picture distortion lasts for a
refresh cycle, the dimming can take a few cycles to disappear.

When I power off the screen, I hear a number of these ticks happening,
one after the other, tapering off.

Where do I begin to look for a solution? Google has not been much help.

Thanks!

Smith Comma John February 7th 10 02:00 AM

Ominous Ticking from Monitor

Could be a number of issues. From leaking capacitors to a genuine short
somewhere in the chassis releasing bits of electricity. The only way to know
for sure is to have it open and plugged in which I don't suggest to anyone
without a basic electrical understanding.

In other words it's time to lay this CRT to rest and invest in a cheap LCD.
Not the ultimate in performance but a true upgrade for now. And you can even
pick up a cheap one from a local store nowadays for 100 bux.

`Mr. Smith

Scorpion king September 19th 10 11:38 AM

i m using lcd and its doing great...

i love it..