HardwareBanter

-   General (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Gaming computer(for kind of cheap) (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=115702)

[email protected] December 28th 05 02:41 AM

Gaming computer(for kind of cheap)

Just bought Battlefield 2 and Call of Duty 2 and my computer right now
just isnt running these games as good as i thought it would.

Asus board w/ 8xagp
AMD 64 3400+
radeon x850 pro
1 gb ram

I am looking to upgrade, but sticking with AMD cpu and asus boards.
And preferrably my radeon x850 pro video card.

Any suggestions on my problem would be great.

George Macdonald December 28th 05 04:16 AM

On 27 Dec 2005 18:41:03 -0800, wrote:

Just bought Battlefield 2 and Call of Duty 2 and my computer right now
just isnt running these games as good as i thought it would.

Asus board w/ 8xagp
AMD 64 3400+
radeon x850 pro
1 gb ram

I am looking to upgrade, but sticking with AMD cpu and asus boards.
And preferrably my radeon x850 pro video card.

Any suggestions on my problem would be great.

Which Asus mbrd/chipset do you have? Even a s754(?) 3400+ should be a
pretty good performer in general; though I know nothing about modern game
performance, I'd have though the Radeon x850 would be up there too. Are
you sure you haven't misconfigured things or got the wrong driver sets?
Have you measured performance with a benchmark suite to check that all
components are running as they should? While maybe not the best, Sisoft's
Sandra should be able to pinpoint any deficiencies?

--
Rgds, George Macdonald

The little lost angel December 28th 05 02:59 PM

Gaming computer(for kind of cheap)

On 27 Dec 2005 18:41:03 -0800, wrote:

Just bought Battlefield 2 and Call of Duty 2 and my computer right now
just isnt running these games as good as i thought it would.

Asus board w/ 8xagp
AMD 64 3400+
radeon x850 pro
1 gb ram

I am looking to upgrade, but sticking with AMD cpu and asus boards.
And preferrably my radeon x850 pro video card.

Some website, either THG or Anand I think, did some testing and the
results pretty much seem to indicate that the processor doesn't make
that much of a difference above the 3000+ kind of level, esp for AMD.
So it might be better to upgrade your gfx to something like the newer
1xxxx series series. However, not a gaming person, I'm not sure if
they come in AGP flavour.

It is also probably a bad time to upgrade since AMD will be coming up
with the new TM2(or whatever they call it now) socket with DDR2
support.

--
A Lost Angel, fallen from heaven
Lost in dreams, Lost in aspirations,

hackbox.info December 28th 05 06:03 PM

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 03:41:03 +0100, wrote:

Any suggestions on my problem would be great.

play at 1024x768

--
I really have no idea what this means. And since I can't install linux on
it, I'm gonna go back to surfing pr0n.

[email protected] December 28th 05 09:27 PM

Gaming computer(for kind of cheap)

On 27 Dec 2005 18:41:03 -0800, wrote:

Just bought Battlefield 2 and Call of Duty 2 and my computer right now
just isnt running these games as good as i thought it would.

Asus board w/ 8xagp
AMD 64 3400+
radeon x850 pro
1 gb ram

I am looking to upgrade, but sticking with AMD cpu and asus boards.
And preferrably my radeon x850 pro video card.

Any suggestions on my problem would be great.

Your rig looks quite up-to-date and has lots of power. Though I am no
gamer, my guess is that something is screwed up on the software side.
Start with the BIOS - update it, if newer versions exist. Then
install Windows from scratch, using the latest drivers. Get the
drive(s) defragmented. Install apps. Defrag again. This alone may
solve your problems. If that's not enough, you need to start with
graphics, though I can't tell off the top of my head how much higher
from x850pro you can go with AGP slot. PCIe may be the reason you
might want to replace the mobo and the CPU (if it is 754 - you can
keep 939).
Good luck
NNN

Robert Redelmeier December 28th 05 11:20 PM

wrote:
Just bought Battlefield 2 and Call of Duty 2 and my computer right
now just isnt running these games as good as i thought it would.

What is the specific performance problem?

Asus board w/ 8xagp
AMD 64 3400+
radeon x850 pro
1 gb ram

This sounds like a good rig. Software (incl BIOS)
side is the most likely culprit as another poster said.

For hardware, make sure your HD & CDROM are on separate cables
(interfaces). You don't want the seek delays on one stalling
the other. In general, I avoid putting on IDE slave devices
unless I'm sure the master and slave won't be busy simultaneously.

-- Robert