HardwareBanter

-   Compaq Computers (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   install on compaq proliant 800 (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=58008)

d.copper September 2nd 03 12:41 PM

install on compaq proliant 800

Hi there !

Has anyone an idea how to get RH9 running on my proliant 800?

I tried nearly all constellations of kernel parameters and also reduced my
hardware to a minimum, but allways I get the same problem: Right after
anaconda detected an unknown monitor the system hangs :-(((

So please help...

Vwakes September 2nd 03 02:22 PM

On Tue, 2 Sep 2003 d.copper wrote:

Has anyone an idea how to get RH9 running on my proliant 800?

I tried nearly all constellations of kernel parameters and also reduced
my hardware to a minimum, but allways I get the same problem: Right
after anaconda detected an unknown monitor the system hangs :-(((

Just a hit in the dark, have you tried "linux text skipddc" ?

V.

d.copper September 2nd 03 02:30 PM

"Vwakes" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
zna...
On Tue, 2 Sep 2003 d.copper wrote:

Has anyone an idea how to get RH9 running on my proliant 800?

I tried nearly all constellations of kernel parameters and also reduced
my hardware to a minimum, but allways I get the same problem: Right
after anaconda detected an unknown monitor the system hangs :-(((

Just a hit in the dark, have you tried "linux text skipddc" ?

V.

Yes, but even then anaconda tries to detect some hardware like monitor and
mouse...

Lenard September 2nd 03 02:58 PM

On Tue, 02 Sep 2003 15:30:07 +0200, d.copper typed:

Yes, but even then anaconda tries to detect some hardware like monitor and
mouse...

Try; "linux text noprobe skipddc nomce nopcmcia nousb"

--
If it's Thursday it must be Micro$oft patching day!!!

the yeti September 3rd 03 01:07 AM

If you got it installed and cant get it to display, here is a ghetto way to fix it.

Boot Knoppix and copy the Knoppix x86.conf file into the Red Hat /etc dir.

d.copper September 3rd 03 01:30 AM

Yes, but even then anaconda tries to detect some hardware like monitor
and
mouse...

Try; "linux text noprobe skipddc nomce nopcmcia nousb"

--
If it's Thursday it must be Micro$oft patching day!!!

So I also tried this without success :-(
Anaconda hangs after displaying "...: Unknown Monitor"

But thanx for the idea !!!

d.copper September 3rd 03 01:35 AM

If you got it installed and cant get it to display, here is a ghetto way
to fix it.

Boot Knoppix and copy the Knoppix x86.conf file into the Red Hat /etc dir.

This is a really new idea of installing. But how do I get RH9 running, when
anaconda hangs right before installing??

thanx for trying to help !!!

Nancy Rudins September 3rd 03 02:12 PM

"the yeti" wrote in message
om...
If you got it installed and cant get it to display, here is a ghetto way

to fix it.

Boot Knoppix and copy the Knoppix x86.conf file into the Red Hat /etc dir.

Thanks!! I didn't ask the original question, but I'm having problems
getting
XConfigurator to work on my Dell laptop. This solution worked for me.

Kind regards,
Nancy

--
Take a sad song and make it better (lennon/mccartney)
Nancy Rudins

Terry Polzin September 3rd 03 03:17 PM

"d.copper" wrote in message ...
Hi there !

Has anyone an idea how to get RH9 running on my proliant 800?

I tried nearly all constellations of kernel parameters and also reduced my
hardware to a minimum, but allways I get the same problem: Right after
anaconda detected an unknown monitor the system hangs :-(((

So please help...

Can you disable the video and install a different card?

Vwakes September 3rd 03 04:37 PM

On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 d.copper wrote:

If you got it installed and cant get it to display, here is a ghetto
way to fix it. Boot Knoppix and copy the Knoppix x86.conf file into
the Red Hat /etc dir.

This is a really new idea of installing.

No. That's under the assumptions that you get RH installed and have
problems with your X while knoppix finds it all great.

But how do I get RH9 running, when anaconda hangs right before
installing??

It's also possible that the next step after "Unknown Monitor" thingy
that's causing the problem. I am not sure what it is. I have read that
RH successfully tested in one Proliant 800, but that might be a
different hardware configuration than yours. Try to get hold of it and
see if you have anything weird.

GL
V.