HardwareBanter

-   Overclocking (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Best thermal compound? (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=9430)

Paladin August 12th 03 02:15 PM

Best thermal compound?

An old chestnut, maybe, but... I'm planning to attach a Zalman copper cooler
to my P4 3.0, running on an Asus P4C800-ED board, initially at stock speeds.
I have a choice between the supplied thermal grease, Arctic Ceramique or
Arctic Silver. Anyone have any thoughts on which is best?
--
Paladin

Remove "NOSPAM" to reply:

Sparky August 12th 03 02:36 PM

"Paladin" wrote in message
An old chestnut, maybe, but... I'm planning to attach a Zalman copper

cooler
to my P4 3.0, running on an Asus P4C800-ED board, initially at stock

speeds.
I have a choice between the supplied thermal grease, Arctic Ceramique or
Arctic Silver. Anyone have any thoughts on which is best?
--
Paladin

Remove "NOSPAM" to reply:

I've read many posts and articles which claim that as good as it is, Arctic
Silver (3) is probably only worth an extra 1-2deg C reduction in
temperature at best over standard thermal compound (when both are properly
applied). I personally found that I didn't really gain anything when I
changed my white goo for AS3 but then I wasn't being overly careful about
how I applied it.

--
Sparky

Paladin August 12th 03 02:49 PM

I heard somewhere that Intel disapproved of Arctic Silver because of its
metal component - but maybe that is just Intel being sniffy...
--
Paladin

Remove "NOSPAM" to reply:

Forrest August 14th 03 12:56 AM

I bought and installed a Zalmans 7000 CU on my P-4 2.4 gig, using the
supplied compound. I then helped a neighbor build a machine and he bought a
tube of Arctic Silver III. He gave me the rest of the tube. I removed the
Zalmans, cleaned it and the CPU with alcohol and reinstalled it with the AC
III. I didn't see any extra cooling, in fact it may have gone up a degree.
Don't waste your money. Just use what they give you. By the way, I love the
hell out of the Zalmans. I only bought it to quiet things down and that it
does, and keeps it cool.

Paladin August 14th 03 01:08 AM

Thanks for sharing your experience. Glad you like the Zalmans!
--
Paladin

Remove "NOSPAM" to reply:

~misfit~ August 14th 03 10:03 AM

"Forrest" wrote in message
I bought and installed a Zalmans 7000 CU on my P-4 2.4 gig, using the
supplied compound. I then helped a neighbor build a machine and he bought

tube of Arctic Silver III. He gave me the rest of the tube. I removed the
Zalmans, cleaned it and the CPU with alcohol and reinstalled it with the

AC
III. I didn't see any extra cooling, in fact it may have gone up a degree.
Don't waste your money. Just use what they give you. By the way, I love

the
hell out of the Zalmans. I only bought it to quiet things down and that it
does, and keeps it cool.

That's all well and good in that case, Zalman make quality gear, charge you
an arm and a leg for it, and aren't gonna give you crap thermal paste with
their products now are they? This experience doesn't necessarily carry over
to cheaper HSFs and the compound that comes with them.
--
~misfit~

"Paladin" wrote in message
An old chestnut, maybe, but... I'm planning to attach a Zalman copper

cooler
to my P4 3.0, running on an Asus P4C800-ED board, initially at stock

speeds.
I have a choice between the supplied thermal grease, Arctic Ceramique or
Arctic Silver. Anyone have any thoughts on which is best?
--
Paladin

Remove "NOSPAM" to reply:

---