HardwareBanter

-   General (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   AMD overclocking and semperon 3100s (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=7040)

[email protected] November 24th 04 01:02 PM

AMD overclocking and semperon 3100s

Heres some interesting stuff for people who havent quite kept up with
the AMDs the last few months like me.

The AMD stuff is starting to look like the old AMD - possibly great
OCers at cheap prices. Everything I hoped for seems to be happening.
The Semperon 3100s look like a possible killer bargain chip IF they
really drop to 70-80 range since they OC like crazy and mem DDR 4000
drops in price and the 2800 64 chip doesnt fall close to the same
price and still OCes like crazy . Then everyone will get the 2800
obviously. Ive seen some conflicting things about the 2800. Some posts
have said it OCes a fair amount while others say not. If they move it
to the 90nm form and it OCes and is dirt cheap then the semperon might
be a deadend chip.

With the 939s falling in price and Anandtech claiming they OC really
well --- itll depend on the price difference there too obviously if
its just better to go straight to 939 period since itll have better
uipgrade options.

90nm Winchester 939 sockets mentioned at Anandtech in Oct :

The new 3500+, 3200+, and 3000+ perform from 1% to 7% faster than
comparable 130nm parts.

They will love the new 90nm chips because they can buy a 3000+ running
at 1.8GHz for less than $200 and still have a good chance of reaching
2.6GHz with very little effort with the same chip. 2.6GHz is faster
than any current Athlon 64, and it is, in fact, the speed that we
expect from the upcoming FX55 - the new Athlon 64 top-of-the-line.
It's been a while since we've seen this kind of headroom on an AMD
chip, and those who were waiting for 90nm to get a magic overclocker
will get in line to buy the new 90nm 3000+.

This leads us to future directions for 754 and 939. Roadmaps show 754
ending in late 2005, but 5 quarters is still a lifetime in CPU
sockets. AMD plans to discontinue Socket A and move all processors to
Socket 754/939/940. This will likely mean that we will see even
cheaper 754 processors to entice buyers who found Athlon XP prices
attractive. 754 will likely move much lower before it goes away in a
year or so, and 939 will also likely move down a bit further as 90nm
is fully implemented and production costs go down.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...spx?i=2242&p=8

And then theres the AMD semperon 3100 754 socket :

We should note that the Sempron 3100+ processor delivers good
performance even without overclocking. Having only 256 kilobytes of L2
cache memory, it is just 1-2% slower than the full-featured Athlon 64
2800+. Of course, the lack of AMD64 technology may disappoint some
users, but this technology is not very important today – 64-bit
operating systems and applications are not widespread, and the
competitor desktop processors hasn’t yet acquired a similar technology
yet.

As for the gain you receive by overclocking the Sempron 3100+, we
enjoyed a performance growth of about 25% by clocking our sample at
2.52GHz (40% frequency boost). Thanks to that, the overclocked Sempron
3100+ could outperform the Pentium 4 3.4GHz as well as the Athlon 64
3400+ by about 5% in average.

Winding up this review, we want to tell you that Sempron 3100+ models
on the new 90nm core are coming up to market soon. Their
overclockability may be no worse than that of the 0.13-micron
Paris-core sample we have tested today, but we can’t claim it of
course without running more tests. So, we will surely return once
again to investigating the overclocking potential of new-generation
inexpensive processors from AMD.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu...n-3100-oc.html