HardwareBanter

-   Compaq Computers (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Presario 2701ea Boot problem (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=57999)

Ben Squires August 30th 03 07:35 PM

Presario 2701ea Boot problem

Hi,

I've been given a Presario 2701 notebook to mend, but I'm stumped. The
history is this - HDD was noisy so was replaced - when it was changed
the 'engineer' couldn't re-install XP so he installed ME. Now when the
machine is booted with the mains lead attached it hangs on the
'Compaq' screen. The machine boots OK on battery. So a couple of
(probably stupid) questions:

1) I suspect the Power Management is screwed and the machine thinks
the battery is flat when the mains lead is in - is this likely and how
do I fix it?
2) If I decide to re-install XP, should I use a COMPAQ specific (OEM)
version? All the function buttons such as volume don't work so do I
alternatively need a COMPAQ specific version of ME ?

Any help or thoughts gratefully received.

Many thanks,

Ben Squires