HardwareBanter

-   General (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   pcmcia card not being recognized (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=187)

ChrisJ9876 July 3rd 03 02:10 AM

pcmcia card not being recognized

From: "los"

"ChrisJ9876" wrote in message
From: "los"

The card probably is of the Cardbus technology, and your laptop, being

"very
old" probably does not have Cardbus slots.
See the following for some basic info on Cardbus:
www.seattlewireless.net/index.cgi/CardBus

or just do a search on cardbus

Iteresting. That's probably the problem. This computer could easily be older
than 1996, as it is a Penttium 1 150 mhz. Any idea what the 16 bit PCMCIA
cards are called. Or are they called just that, 16 bit cards?

Not sure what they'd be called, but if you look at the specs it should give you
a clue. I have 2 PCMCIA 56k modems and a PCMCIA SCSI card, and neither one says
anything about Cardbus, nor do they indicate 16bit or 32bit, so based on that I
would guess they don't need Cardbus. I bought them all in the '98-'99
timeframe.
Try your card in a newer laptop and see if it works.
Hope this helps.

los July 3rd 03 03:00 PM

Not sure what they'd be called, but if you look at the specs it should

give you
a clue. I have 2 PCMCIA 56k modems and a PCMCIA SCSI card, and neither one

says
anything about Cardbus, nor do they indicate 16bit or 32bit, so based on

that I
would guess they don't need Cardbus. I bought them all in the '98-'99
timeframe.
Try your card in a newer laptop and see if it works.
Hope this helps.

Apparently, they're called "PC Card" or "16 bit" cards. I think the laptop
is just too old for this card.
It helped, thanks.