HardwareBanter

-   Homebuilt PC's (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Read files on NTFS partitions from DOS or win9x/me (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=22695)

johns January 29th 05 09:22 AM

Read files on NTFS partitions from DOS or win9x/me

Sounds interesting. I'll give it a look. Just went through
about 2 weeks worth of recovering about $500,000
man-hours worth of data on crashed ntfs system that
had only been backed up to itself. I swear, the users
are just idiots about this. I recovered about half that
data .. .all dirty writes ... and I have no idea yet if that
data is accurate. Gave the drives to co-worker, and
he has been cranking a binary reader on the drives
for days getting a file at a time. He has 2 gigs worth
of email alone ... ALL of it contractural in nature.
What a mess. I'm working with a WinME cd-boot
disk since it can read big partitions under its "dos",
and pull data to Fat32 large partitions. That is the
trick you have to have. Master the cd-boot drive,
and slave one big Fat32, and slave the crashed drive
trying to move the dirty data. No fun at all, and a
huge temper tantrum in the works !!!!! Note: if you
try to pull dirty data to a Master'd OS, you take the
chance of the damn thing going in and deleteing the
partitions. I KID YOU NOT. DON'T DO THAT.
You need to use a minimal boot OS that cannot turn
wise on you and sack the data.

johns