HardwareBanter

-   Storage & Hardrives (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   "NAS" with integrated backup server (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=67226)

Schmuck October 21st 03 10:16 PM

"NAS" with integrated backup server

A little bit of knowledge..... etc etc

Gurus. I have a client who is insisting on a "NAS that runs Windows",
but at the same time is "absolutely not a file server". Over and
above, he wants to connect an SDLT-220 (no, not the 320 for the 200
bucks extra) and install "Veritas" to back up his data.

(Yep.. its goverment).

I think we've established that this is Backup Exec (+IDR) rather than
Netbackup, however, I am still in a spin over how to satisfy this
bizarre request.

Anybody know whether I could turn any of the Windows 2000 based "NAS"
labelled products from the HP, Dell etc al into a backup server?

(If so, why the hell aren't they "file servers"?)

Thanks in advance

Matt

Rob Turk October 22nd 03 06:48 AM

"Schmuck" wrote in message
om...
A little bit of knowledge..... etc etc

Gurus. I have a client who is insisting on a "NAS that runs Windows",
but at the same time is "absolutely not a file server". Over and
above, he wants to connect an SDLT-220 (no, not the 320 for the 200
bucks extra) and install "Veritas" to back up his data.

(Yep.. its goverment).

I think we've established that this is Backup Exec (+IDR) rather than
Netbackup, however, I am still in a spin over how to satisfy this
bizarre request.

Anybody know whether I could turn any of the Windows 2000 based "NAS"
labelled products from the HP, Dell etc al into a backup server?

(If so, why the hell aren't they "file servers"?)

Thanks in advance

Matt

How about installing Windows2000 on a standard machine as requested, install
remote desktop management. Make sure ACPI is on so it shuts down properly
when pressing the power button. Remove the monitor, keyboard and mouse? Make
a nice fat sticker "Nas2000" and you're all set ;-)

Rob

Maxim S. Shatskih October 23rd 03 04:43 PM

How about installing Windows2000 on a standard machine as requested, install
remote desktop management. Make sure ACPI is on so it shuts down properly
when pressing the power button.

:-))))
This is more the Server 2003 problem. w2k is more forgiving in terms of ACPI
BIOS lameness.

--
Maxim Shatskih, Windows DDK MVP
StorageCraft Corporation