HardwareBanter

-   Compaq Computers (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   pci disabling video in dp 2000 (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=57816)

James Bailey July 16th 03 02:25 PM

pci disabling video in dp 2000

I am trying to set-up a Compaq Deskpro 2000 for wireless networking.
Whenever I install the pci card the onboard video shuts down. It is
as though it is assuming the new card is a video card. The machine is
running Win 98. I did go to the compaq/hp support site, but I can't
determine exactly which model this and there seems to be quite a few.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mike Calkins July 16th 03 07:12 PM

The serial number contains a config code that may help determine which dp
2000 you have. What is the serial number? If it has USB ports, and if you
have access to a USB wireless device, try that.

Which version of Win '98? What wireless cards are you trying?

Mike in Houston

om...

James Bailey July 17th 03 01:53 AM

The serial is 6814BMK2P497. It is Win 98 SE. The card is Linksys
Wireless G PCI Adapter. I have one in an older and newer vanilla pc
and they work great.

Here is an interesting update, I figure if you can't beat them join
them, so I put in a Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 Pro PCI video card. The
Compaq and Win 98 SE recognized and installed drivers for the card
just fine, but when I put in the Linksys card, the video goes blank
just like the onboard video, weird!