HardwareBanter

-   Overclocking AMD Processors (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Water Cooling.... (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=14370)

Daniel P May 24th 04 06:51 PM

Water Cooling....

Can something in a water cooling system break then spray water everywhere?
If so how often would it happen?

--
"Duct tape is a lot like the Force. It has a Dark side, a Light side, and it
holds all the pieces of the Universe together"

Scumball May 24th 04 06:58 PM

"Daniel P" wrote in message
Can something in a water cooling system break then spray water everywhere

?

Yes, but it's usually a leak-drip rather than Niagara.
Could do a lot of damage - like blow your mobo, vidcard and PSU.
It's often the result of moving pipes (which aren't infinitely flexible)
about, loosening clips, etc.

If so how often would it happen?

Prolly never if you take care and check things once a fortnight.

rms May 24th 04 08:02 PM

Can something in a water cooling system break then spray water
everywhere

If you have a homemade system with a fountain pump in a coffee can (like
me) and semi-loose connections, the possibility is certainly there.

But an inline quality pump with good hose fittings pretty much
eliminates leakage issues.

rms

BigBadger May 24th 04 09:51 PM

Obviously there is a possibility of leaks....just like there is a
possibility that anything else in your system will fail.
How often depends entirely on the quality of build and maintenance, it's a
good idea to check for leaks regularly....If you used distilled & deionised
water as coolant there is less risk because it's not conductive.

Daniel P May 24th 04 11:36 PM

Sounds good. I have been thinking about water cooling for a while, but
since I would have to save for a year if it broke I have been to afraid.
Maybe I'll try it. What's a good watercooling kit for a guy on a budget.