HardwareBanter

-   Compaq Computers (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   "No Boot Disk" error on old Compaq LTE Notebook (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=145705)

FatKat February 13th 07 05:29 AM

"No Boot Disk" error on old Compaq LTE Notebook

I have an old Compaq LTE notebook - the Pentium with a 90MHz chip. I
could never get the thing to work right, so I'm trying to Craigslist
it. However, I can't get Win95 to boot up. Even though the HD shows
up on the system configurator, the notebook simply refuses to
recognize it on boot - I get this messgae that says "No Boot Disk".

Can I assume that the HD is just dead, or is this a CMOS problem? I'd
like to maximize this machine's worth before I get rid of it.

Suggestions appreciated.

HH February 13th 07 12:43 PM

"No Boot Disk" error on old Compaq LTE Notebook

Have you tried "sysing" the drive? Get a bootable floppy disk which also has
the file sys.com on it. Boot with that diskette and at the A: prompt, type
sys C:
This will transfer the system files to the boot sector of the hard drive.
Then remove the floppy disk and reboot.

HH

oups.com...

FatKat February 16th 07 03:55 PM

"No Boot Disk" error on old Compaq LTE Notebook

On Feb 13, 7:43 am, "HH" helpfully
suggested:
Have you tried "sysing" the drive? Get a bootable floppy disk which also has
the file sys.com on it. Boot with that diskette and at the A: prompt, type
sys C:
This will transfer the system files to the boot sector of the hard drive.
Then remove the floppy disk and reboot.

Thanks - though I didn't get to try out your suggestion. Instead, I
went into system setup and found out that the unit wasn't set to boot
from the HD. I don't know how that happened, because it had been set
to start from the HD before, I wouldn't have changed that. On
repeated boot attempts afterwards, the unit powered up and entered
Win95 normally, so i guess the CMOS battery is also okay. Again,
thanks for your response.

[email protected] February 17th 07 04:24 AM

On Feb 12, 9:29 pm, "FatKat" wrote:
I have an old Compaq LTE notebook - the Pentium with a 90MHz chip. I
could never get the thing to work right, so I'm trying to Craigslist
it. However, I can't get Win95 to boot up. Even though the HD shows
up on the system configurator, the notebook simply refuses to
recognize it on boot - I get this messgae that says "No Boot Disk".

Can I assume that the HD is just dead, or is this a CMOS problem? I'd
like to maximize this machine's worth before I get rid of it.

Suggestions appreciated.

It's been a problem child since day one? Just wipe the drive, with a
program like DBAN, and sell it for around $20. Disclose it's true
condition, and state AS-IS. And you'll be fine.

http://dban.sourceforge.net/