HardwareBanter

-   General Hardware (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   off-topic: help finding intel cpu (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=188468)

Ed[_8_] April 30th 11 07:36 PM

off-topic: help finding intel cpu

Hi All,

I'm in a bit of a pickle. I never really keep up with hardware that
well, I'm more a software tinkerer. Currently I've got CPU envy, seem
all the cool people out there are able to experiment with hardware
virtualization whilst I'm stuck in the dark ages with emulation. So I'm
looking for some help sourcing a replacement CPU.

So at the moment I've got a Gigabyte 945PL-S3P motherboard, the CPU slot
is Socket 775, but I've not been able to find any P4 CPU's on the normal
sites in the UK.

Would anyone know what I can get to replace my current P4 3.4GH with,
the capabilities are listed as:

boot fpu fpu_exception wp vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge
mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx
x86-64 constant_tsc pebs bts pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl est tm2 cid
cx16 xtpr pdcm lahf_lm

But there's no vmx - what's a good, hopefully inexpensive upgrade path?

Many thanks

--
Best regards,
Ed http://www.s5h.net/