HardwareBanter

-   General (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Replacing AGP card prevents boot (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=695)

Vanguard August 10th 03 01:52 AM

Replacing AGP card prevents boot

wrote in message
news:KKOENQCGD4L5OJJYENB4BQEPPVIDBSHTACGLKNIM@zipl ip.com
I have a very odd problem with my Dell Workstation (Precision 620).
Everything points to the fact that the video card broke down:
the screen is scrambled, etc. The AGP bus on this machine is
"AGP Pro: 66.6 MHz (4x-capable)"

But when I replace the video card with a different one:
ATI Rage 128 Pro (AGP 2x/4x), the machine does not even
try to boot.

Is it possible that the ATI card may be incompatible
with the dual-CPU motherboard?

More likely that you did not fully seat the AGP card into the slot. The
AGP slot takes more pressure to push in a card than do the PCI slots.
Could also be the ATI card is defective.

** Share with others. Post replies in the newsgroup.
** If present, remove all "-nix" from my email address.