HardwareBanter

-   Homebuilt PC's (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   broadcast domain!? (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=20047)

esara May 26th 04 04:02 PM

broadcast domain!?

I am reading these 2 questions and I do not understand the answers??
1) If a switch has 4 ports, how many broadcast domains does it have?
answer: 1
2) If a router has 4 ports, how many broadcast domains does it have?
answer: 4

My questions:
What does broadcast domain mean here?? is it physical port?? what is
the relation between the number of ports and the broadcast domain.

I do not understand why a switch with 4 ports has 1 broadcast domain??
and why the router with the same number of ports has 4 broadcast
doamins??

Thanks a lot..

Hamman May 26th 04 05:01 PM

"esara" wrote in message
om...
I am reading these 2 questions and I do not understand the answers??
1) If a switch has 4 ports, how many broadcast domains does it have?
answer: 1
2) If a router has 4 ports, how many broadcast domains does it have?
answer: 4

My questions:
What does broadcast domain mean here?? is it physical port?? what is
the relation between the number of ports and the broadcast domain.

I do not understand why a switch with 4 ports has 1 broadcast domain??
and why the router with the same number of ports has 4 broadcast
doamins??

Thanks a lot..

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=def...-8&hl=en&meta=

hamman