HardwareBanter

-   General (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Belkin Wireless PCI "B" card at Compusa this week for $10 after I think $40 in rebates (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=5363)

[email protected] July 5th 04 01:32 PM

Belkin Wireless PCI "B" card at Compusa this week for $10 after I think $40 in rebates

It was part of the week long July 4th sale. Ive been whining about how
all the good rebate sales seem to be disappearing. Look at Omax -
pathetic . I did see some killer Odepot clearance sales. People were
getting 70-100 printers for $7-15 after rebates. And I got two
cameras for way way way off the usual price but they were display
models.

Ive posted about the older Belkin I got a while ago for $10 at Compusa
on sale and how everyone bashes it. It seems buggy and Ive seen
various posts on line that claim the ADMTEK8211 based cards can be
kind of erratic. This one - when its OK is quite decent for a "b "
card.. Gets good speeds at distaces of 50-60 feet.

But the installation is buggy and I often have to tinker around with
it and even reinstall it to make it work decently again. A real pain.

I bought the same Belkin card but now they use a different chip though
it maybe related to same company for all I know and the antenna has a
pigtail cord that lets you stand the antenna on your desktop instead
of in back of the PC attached directly to the card. At least for now
(one day of use) it seems way way way way better.

The drivers and software actually work like they should and it
installs correctly and seems stable. For $10 unless It starts going
wacky - its far superior to the older belkin card I have and 10 bucks
seems like an OK deal unless you can get a G card cheap somewhere that
works well.

Alex B July 5th 04 04:39 PM

Never have liked blekin stuff. Problems with (several of) their w-lan
cards, and even a usb hub when plugged in windows needed drivers for it !!
wtf ??!!

[email protected] July 6th 04 10:08 AM

On Mon, 5 Jul 2004 16:39:35 +0100, "Alex B"
wrote:

Never have liked blekin stuff. Problems with (several of) their w-lan
cards, and even a usb hub when plugged in windows needed drivers for it !!
wtf ??!!

Yeah they are known for cheaper stuff except for their cords strangely
enough which sells for exhorbitant prices at Compusa and all the
Office Supply stores. You get a generic cable for $2 or get a Belkin
at one of those stores for $20-40.

Despite all the bashing of Belkin and it continues I see with the 7000
series cards I checked online - the current B wireless card with the
pigtail is a vast improvement over the older ADMTK version. I can get
the older one to work but its really quirky. The new one actually
works the way its supposed to.

Im using it with the older Belkin Wireless router I got for $20-30 a
while back.

They are also offering I think the same router a "b" one for $20 or
29 I think after rebates too.