HardwareBanter

-   Cdr (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Problems with a FujiFilm CDR (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=24263)

y_p_w September 14th 03 12:27 AM

Problems with a FujiFilm CDR

Hi-

I decided to back up my C: drive using Norton Ghost 2003. I saved
the image to 5 FujiFilm CDRs. Before I was done, I inspected
all of the discs, and #2 seemed to have a visible media flaw -
somewhat of a small shiny area about 4 mm from the outer edge.
I don't see any bump on the label side. The disc is a FujiFilm
color CDR - made in Japan (TY?) - a sticker on the label said
40X. My CD-RW is rated at 12X write.

I tried copying disc #2 using Roxio Disc Copier, but it would always
bomb due to an early read error (less than 10% into the disc). It
doesn't sound like it's getting to the point where I see the surface
flaw. I don't know if it just has problems copying a Ghost CD or if
there really is a problem with the disc.

Are there any means of verifying that the CDR has no errors? I'm
running Windows ME, and I do have Norton SystemWorks 2003. I couldn't
find anything that would allow me to verify a CDR for errors.

At the worst, I could just redo the image. I've got plenty of
blank CDRs.

Mike Richter September 14th 03 02:18 AM

y_p_w wrote:

I tried copying disc #2 using Roxio Disc Copier, but it would always
bomb due to an early read error (less than 10% into the disc). It
doesn't sound like it's getting to the point where I see the surface
flaw. I don't know if it just has problems copying a Ghost CD or if
there really is a problem with the disc.

You can count errors with CD/DVD Diagnostic (linked from my site), but
it needs to be registered for that. CDSpeed from Ahead may do it as
well; I don't know how it works on data discs.

Mike
--

http://www.mrichter.com/

Bubba Gump September 14th 03 05:58 PM

On 13 Sep 2003 16:27:48 -0700, (y_p_w) wrote:

Are there any means of verifying that the CDR has no errors? I'm
running Windows ME, and I do have Norton SystemWorks 2003. I couldn't
find anything that would allow me to verify a CDR for errors.

Ghost has a verify function.

Allen_L September 15th 03 12:02 AM

Bubba Gump wrote:
On 13 Sep 2003 16:27:48 -0700, (y_p_w) wrote:

Are there any means of verifying that the CDR has no errors? I'm
running Windows ME, and I do have Norton SystemWorks 2003. I
couldn't find anything that would allow me to verify a CDR for
errors.

Ghost has a verify function.

I use this program, CDCheck found at:
http://www.elpros.si/CDCheck/helplin...elpfn=overview

Does a good job and more.

....Allen

[email protected] September 15th 03 05:46 AM

On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 23:02:48 GMT, "Allen_L"
wrote:

Bubba Gump wrote:
On 13 Sep 2003 16:27:48 -0700, (y_p_w) wrote:

Are there any means of verifying that the CDR has no errors? I'm
running Windows ME, and I do have Norton SystemWorks 2003. I
couldn't find anything that would allow me to verify a CDR for
errors.

Ghost has a verify function.

I use this program, CDCheck found at:
http://www.elpros.si/CDCheck/helplin...elpfn=overview

Does a good job and more.

...Allen

Ahead's Nero Toolkit has cdspeed that will check both the files and
the surface of cdrs. It is best to run the test on another drive
besides the burner. You can also get cdspeed tester he

http://www.cdspeed2000.com/

y_p_w September 15th 03 11:08 PM

wrote in message . ..
On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 23:02:48 GMT, "Allen_L"
wrote:

Bubba Gump wrote:
On 13 Sep 2003 16:27:48 -0700,
(y_p_w) wrote:

Are there any means of verifying that the CDR has no errors? I'm
running Windows ME, and I do have Norton SystemWorks 2003. I
couldn't find anything that would allow me to verify a CDR for
errors.

Ghost has a verify function.

I use this program, CDCheck found at:
http://www.elpros.si/CDCheck/helplin...elpfn=overview

Does a good job and more.

...Allen

Ahead's Nero Toolkit has cdspeed that will check both the files and
the surface of cdrs. It is best to run the test on another drive
besides the burner. You can also get cdspeed tester he

http://www.cdspeed2000.com/

Thanks. I have a few CDRs that I've burned only to find out the
media may not be perfect, or there were pits/scratches on the read
side I didn't notice before I burned them. I've also scratched a
few CDs, and I'd like to see if the data is intact. I'm just
looking for something that'll check the integrity - I don't know
if there's parity or checksums encoded in CDR data.

y_p_w September 16th 03 07:12 AM

(y_p_w) wrote in message . com...
wrote in message . ..
On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 23:02:48 GMT, "Allen_L"
wrote:

Bubba Gump wrote:
On 13 Sep 2003 16:27:48 -0700,
(y_p_w) wrote:

[...]

Just a follow-up. Perhaps my system is snake-bitten, but I couldn't
get Nero's tools to work. I loaded CDSpeed 2.02, and it wouldn't
recognize my CD drives. I was able to get the DOS version of
CDSpeed to work, but it doesn't do a CD integrity check.

I loaded CDCheck 3.0.1.43 - it would always crash about the time
it completed. I mean - the entire OS went down and my screen went
black. I left a bug report.