HardwareBanter

-   Homebuilt PC's (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Thick/Fat Cylinders on HDMI cables ? What is it ? What does it do ? (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=199303)

[email protected] December 6th 18 11:57 PM

Thick/Fat Cylinders on HDMI cables ? What is it ? What does it do ?

Hello,

The "high speed hdmi with ethernet cable" I bought looks something like this:

https://www.cmple.com/learn/hdmi-cables-28awg

What I want to know is what are these very thick sections on this cable ?

Looks like some kind of adapter/device is on this cable ?

What is it ? What is it named ? What does it do ?

(They look like two big fat round cylinders ?!?)

Bye,
Skybuck.

[email protected] December 7th 18 12:06 AM

Thick/Fat Cylinders on HDMI cables ? What is it ? What does it do ?

Searching google for cylinder on cables turned up some answers:

https://superuser.com/questions/2177...nder-on-cables

https://computer.howstuffworks.com/question352.htm

Apperently this some European Union requirement to reduce Electro magnetic interference...

Hmmm...

Bye,
Skybuck.

Paul[_28_] December 7th 18 01:11 AM

wrote:
Searching google for cylinder on cables turned up some answers:

https://superuser.com/questions/2177...nder-on-cables

https://computer.howstuffworks.com/question352.htm

Apperently this some European Union requirement to reduce Electro magnetic interference...

Hmmm...

Bye,
Skybuck.

They're ferrites.

The material has to be selected for the frequency range
of interest.

These likely remove common-mode interference.

https://electronics.stackexchange.co...-to-reduce-emc

Paul