HardwareBanter

-   Compaq Computers (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   ethernet cnnction Compaq presario 1230 (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=153090)

hankus June 24th 07 06:21 PM

ethernet cnnction Compaq presario 1230

I still use my old Compaq Presario with a wireless card when I travel-a
rarity but I am going to be in an apartment out of town for work for a few
weeks and would like to access the 'net but there is only an ethernet cable
setup in the room.The connection on the back of the laptop is a phone
type.Is there a cable that can bridge the gap and allow me to use this
laptop via cable? Can I make one from the many ethernet and phone cables I
have?
--
Thanks
Hank

William R. Walsh June 25th 07 12:42 AM

ethernet cnnction Compaq presario 1230

Hi!

The connection on the back of the laptop is a phone type. Is there a cable
that can bridge the gap and allow me to use this laptop via cable?

That connector is for use with a telephone line only. It connects to the
system's internal modem. The internal modem only "knows" how to function
with a telephone line. The possibility of damaging something is unlikely,
but what you want to do won't work.

If you have a wireless card, you could invest in a second router and use
that. You might find one in good working order on eBay or at a garage sale
if you don't want to buy new.

William

hankus June 25th 07 02:23 AM

- Bobb - June 25th 07 08:01 PM

ethernet connection Compaq presario 1230

"hankus" wrote in message
I still use my old Compaq Presario with a wireless card

You have a wireless card ? ... Do you mean
1. a cell-phone type card ? or
2. wireless internet access ( like in public coffee shops - 802.11 ) ?

I am going to be in an apartment out of town for work for a few weeks
and would like to access the 'net but there is only an ethernet cable
setup in the room.The connection on the back of the laptop is a phone
type.

You ( the company) can buy a PCMCIA ethernet adapter ( PC card slot) for
cheap money, plug a cable into the PC card and the wall and you're all
set. Go to www.compusa.com or your alternate and search for " PCMCIA
ethernet adapter " - $20-$30

Thanks
Hank

If you know somone there now, you MIGHT find that a neighbor has a
wireless router that you could " use". Ask current occupant of the
apartment. ( Check - wireless connections - browse)